Carriage Services - OK place to work as long as you made your quotas | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Carriage Services

"OK place to work as long as you made your quotas"

I worked at Carriage Services full-time

Pros

They typically leave you alone to run your business

Cons

Quotas are hard to fill at a funeral home

Other Employee Reviews for Carriage Services

"Chaotic!!! Bottom of the Barrel Leadership & HR Department"

I have been working at Carriage Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are great and we cater to and help families who have lost a loved one.

Cons

(1) HR leadership cannot be trusted and are not responsive to the field. Never take their advice.....You'll always get burned because they don't believe in management training or train-the-trainer.
    (2) The pay is not based on your experience - it's based on favoritism and relationships
    (3) Management does not believe in training (information hoarders) - Sink or Swim? They're only focused on their S&B (salary and benefits)
    (4) Extremely High Turnover: Experienced employees watch out! They'll find ways to terminate you when you're doing a great job!

Advice to Management

Clean house and bring in mature and more experienced, trustworthy, forward-thinking, positive leadership with management experience, heart, passion, and integrity. Great employees continue to come and go. And speaking for every employee in the field, the Houston support center has to be more responsive to our needs, especially the HR department who is notorious for dropping the ball. Besides, we are the reason you all get paid, but when we contact the support center for payroll related questions or if we have issues with the time clock, we receive crappy service with aggressive behaviors. You all reap the benefits of our labor out here in the field because we're the ones selling funeral services. And speaking of "Benefits", that particular department needs to be evaluated immediately by upper management. Several employees at our location have been burned repeatedly by the Benefits Department and management who is never available or responsive might I add; money lost on the Employee Stock Purchase program for forms never being received or maybe they were received but never processed because the turnover is ridiculously high for one department. Whenever we do finally get a response after following up several times, it's always a new person who doesn't know what we're talking about or claim they never received our fax, emails, and voicemails. When your turnover is that high, what does this say about management? You all coach us here in the field to hire the right people for the right seats, but maybe management should practice what they teach and reevaluate who's in the wrong seats for your HR Department, as well as other positions in that support center because employee morale in the field is down and something should be done about it.

"All about sales. Mel Paine (CEO) has never seen the facilities. Never leaves Houston. Lot of excuses each quarter. u"

Current Employee - Managing Partner
    Current Employee - Managing Partner

Pros

Good for directors. Lots of time off.

Cons

To much sales training. Lots of Middle Manager turn over. To much Smoke & Mirrors.

Advice to Management

Visit the funeral homes once in a while. Take advantage of your size to negotiate sales discounts. Have exit reviews when an employee leaves. Be proud of your size and don't hide behind the former owners name. Start building your own name recognition.