Cars.com - Good Job | Glassdoor

"Good Job"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great stable company who's future looks to be bright with the right future execution.

Cons

There are alot of people who want to throw around there opinions and ideas and then most good ideas get overshadow by higher ups in senior management.

Advice to Management

never colse the open door policy

Other Employee Reviews for Cars.com

"Access to Everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This organization allows you the opportunity to make anything you want for yourself. I've worked for Cars.com for over 8 years, and the access I've had to mentors, conferences and the level of training, specific to your role, or simply something you'd like to learn more about, is available to all employees and top notch.
    Every senior leader, from the President down, works in an open environment, no offices...they don't hide behind closed doors. If you have a concern to share, or simply want to seek out advice from industry leaders, the senior leadership team from all divisions make themselves available to every employee.
    Company culture is often talked about, but Cars takes it to an entirely new level. Team outings, rec leagues, offsite team building, in-office Friday "Last Friday" events are fun and encouraged by all.
    Having the newest technology, clean, well taken care of office facilities, as well as being located in the heart of downtown Chicago (if you work at HQ) are often overlooked but play a huge role in the long-term view of employment. Many Sales team members work from home, and Cars offers the best technology and communication tools to keep them informed and able to do their job away from the office setting.

Cons

As the company matures, (it's nearly 15 years old) there have been shifts in how decisions are made, and because of the company culture, it can seem at times that too many people have a say in what or how things should get done, which can lead to delays in progress.
    While a conservative and steady approach has successfully driven Cars.com through the dot-com bubble, as well as the economic recession, these past few years have proven to be a time in the online automotive space to be very aggressive, and Cars.com has missed out on some key opportunities to be leaders in the space due to "analysis paralysis".

Advice to Management

Maintain the open access and opportunity given to all employees.
    Be aware that many HQ employees rarely get out and interact with dealer clients and thought leaders in the online automotive space; this can lead to a very academic approach to problem solving versus applied knowledge.
    Get more creative with your creative. To be brutally honest, the marketing budget has grown, yet the quality has declined. You can't please everyone, but there are more creative methods and messaging that will appeal to users, dealer clients and other critical stakeholders.

2. "Overworked"

Current Contractor - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Creative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Really cool co-workers, hardworking employees, growing business and job security was a plus, innovative

Cons

I felt that my professional input didn't matter. I didn't receive proper tools to do job well. I had multiple tight deadlines that required me to put family and friend life on hold. I strongly felt that management did not understand nature of work and what was required to do job well, compared to prior employee often. (He was able to do the job with _____ tools, why do you need something better?)

Advice to Management

I do feel like not everyone has an experience like i did at this company. I believe that there was a fair amount of people happy at this company. Follow your gut feeling when interviewing, if it sounds like it's going to be an excess amount of work for one person then it probably is and in turn make sure you are compensated properly or find something else.