Carta - Rocketship, but a bumpy ride. | Glassdoor

"Rocketship, but a bumpy ride."

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

- "Always be helpful" is the company motto and most people really do live by it. - Recently hired execs and leadership will hopefully bring a lot of positive change and direction. - Amazing product-market fit. This company is going places, in spite of itself. It's an internal saying because despite all the internal challenges we've had, we still continue to do well financially. - Transparency. Employees are... invited to sit in on monthly metrics meetings and see updated company financials. There is also a weekly AMA with the exec team.

Cons

- No company values. - In two years, only heard one person in leadership say that people were the most important thing at the company (and that was only one time), and it shows in the decisions they make. - Don't put their money where their mouth is in areas like diversity/inclusion and career development. - No feedback culture up until last year (no 360's/performance evaluations or levels/job descriptions), and... it shows. - No recognition culture up until last year (people were actually told by the CEO at an all hands not to give one another recognition because it might cause dependency on positive feedback), and it shows. - People management viewed as a necessary burden/evil up until last year ("I'm sorry," rather than "congratulations" when people got promoted), and it shows. - There's a trend of there being lots to learn and do the first year of employment, then things tend to plateau. Many times the only growth option provided is to switch departments and start over at the junior level, which isn't great for long term career trajectory. - CEO takes way too long to start listening to people who tell him about things that need to change. This leads to people (including execs) not wanting to bring things up to him.

Advice to Management

- Choose company values and live by them. - Prioritize and invest in your people and stop viewing everyone as replaceable. People will bend over backward for you if they think you'll support them in return. - Figure out how to improve long-term opportunities/growth of employees.

Carta2019-02-20

Other Employee Reviews

"Killer company culture and growth opportunities in a very people-forward environment."

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth Opportunities Solid Leadership Good Benefits Great Office Location

Cons

Disappointing Base Salaries Difficult Parking Cramped Office

Carta2019-11-30

"Carta is a great place to grow as an engineer as we scale into the top equity management and private liquidity platform."

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing company Equity growth with frequent liquidity opportunities Daily catered lunch and Friday group restaurant trips Passionate and caring executive team Shiny new office in San Francisco with fantastic city views I love the product I'm working on building. I think it'll be a game changer for private equity liquidity.

Cons

They did away with annual bonuses a couple years ago, which seems odd since we're growing very fast.

Advice to Management

Many silicon valley companies offer annual bonuses. Please bring this back.

Carta2019-10-18

Discover more reviews about Carta.