Carter Lumber - It's been easy going, educative and enjoyable. Hard work, decent compensation, good management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Carter Lumber

"It's been easy going, educative and enjoyable. Hard work, decent compensation, good management."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH

Pros

Management at the particular store is a dream come true.
Good place for an entry level retail in building materials to grown and learn.
Trust and respect lower level employees.

Cons

Undermanned, too much work too little pay.

Advice to Management

Don't keep workers employed out of "tradition". Fire people that aren't pulling their weight.

Other Employee Reviews for Carter Lumber

1. "would not pay people what thay were worth stressful."

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

Pros

people their were good to work for.

Cons

owners and upper managment are very cheep. would not go back , cant make living there if you have a family unless you are upper managment.

Advice to Management

pay your people what their worth, You get what you pay for!!!!!

"Overall my experience working at Carter Lumber has been positive,"

Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA

Pros

I have worked for Carter at 4 stores in 3 states in the last 14 years and have held a number of positions over the years. It has given me the opportunity to learn many diferent aspects of the lumber business and I have been able to work some great people, both co-workers and the contractors and do-it-yourselfers who deal with us. I have especially enjoyed learning to design and sell kitchens because it is such a rewarding experience to take someone from the dreaming of a new kitchen stage through the budgeting,and planning stages and to finally see the finished project.

Cons

Because each location is so small, usually betweeen 10 and 20 employees per store, it is often necessary to wear several hats. While I have enjoyed most of the jobs that I have learned to do there, now that I have really found my niche, I sometimes resent having to go back, as it were, to a former position because there aren't enough people to cover the sales counter without depending on me to do it.

Advice to Management

Providing more opportunities for kitchen sales representatives to get together to exchange ideas and information about vendors, products, etc.. would be very helpful.