Cash America - Multifaceted Job in Fast-Paced Environment Helping Customers Meet Their Short-term Financial Needs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cash America

"Multifaceted Job in Fast-Paced Environment Helping Customers Meet Their Short-term Financial Needs."

Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager
Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A pawn shop is a great place to work if you value helping others who need money to tide them over until the next paycheck. Many people appreciate the help they receive and truly try to redeem their property by the end of the loan (pawn) period. The shop hours are better than average for retail and the stores are closed on the major holidays. There are advancement possibilities and always a need for good industrious people. The company offers all of the usual benefits .

Cons

The pay is not great, in spite of the bonus potential every month. Many of our own employees have to pawn items in other shops to tide them over to their next check! Even when shorthanded, there is pressure not to grant overtime to those willing to work longer hours, but the work has to get down somehow. There is a stronger concentration from those above the shop level now on the bottom line instead of on the customer, which is reflected in the changes in the fee structure which occurred last year. In addition, there is now much more (unnecessary) paperwork to be completed!

Advice to Management

Rationalize the paperwork that is required and eliminate the redundancies. Much of the reports is not read or reacted upon anyway. The SMT preparation, FAP and business plan can all be streamlined and parts eliminated. Put together a step-by-step planning guide for new associates with a time-line. Concentrate on the core business and drop the emphasis on selling retail items on craigslist, which costs a lot of time and results in very few sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Cash America

"Its ok."

Pros

Co-workers are fantastic. Money is ok if you work for a good store !

Cons

They promote people who have no idea what they are doing. Their "Mentor" managers dont do anything , the assistants do all of the work. Market manager doesnt listen to his staff and only hears what he wants to hear. Manager can do whatever they please talk on cell phones, do transactions with customers outside of the store but thats a no no for anyone else. No time for family or to have a life. Expect to work 50 hours or more.

Advice to Management

Give your assistants more props, we dont make near what the managers and most of the time we run the shop. You put alot into the assistants telling us we can make a difference but as soon as we try to the manager wont let you do anything. We are glorified CSRs.

2. "Best place I've worked...so far"

Pros

Management is easy to work with/under
    Decent benefits/perks
    I feel respected as an individual

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to grow
    Can lag behind other industry competition
    Tends to focus on the pawn side of the company, neglecting the other branches that bring income

Advice to Management

Embrace and focus on your other products offered, that you claim are so important, just as much as you focus on the pawn business