Cash America - My experience so far... | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Cash America

"My experience so far..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cocoa, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cocoa, FL

I have been working at Cash America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired mid December of last year. Fellow employees are cool. I would have quit had it not been for them. I'd worked in a small pawn shop for many years prior.

Cons

Stress! Maybe it's just me, but I strive to do my best. Hard to do when you're trying to do five things at once. And although we have great customers, we also have our share of rude customers. I know that you can't please everyone, but some people seem to go out of their way to be nasty. My manager is great, and I'm always pleased when we work together. I started at a lower wage than the job warrants, and thats okay for now. But I am hoping that my hard work will pay off. We'll see. My hours are always different, sometimes 12 hour days but less than 40 hours per week. I do not like that.

Advice to Management

I'm new at Cash America, but since I've been here, I have seen two employees leave for better jobs, one employee that left due to a drug test, and one that was let go by Cash America. Four employees in less than three months? For me, its too early to tell how I can rate the career opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for Cash America

"Lack Of Integrity - Despotism - Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Pawn Shop Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Pawn Shop Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The job itself is amazing. Working in a pawn shop, you learn something new every day and get to meet many interesting clients. On top of that you can add great deals on jewelry, electronics, etc.

Cons

It's unfortunate how successful this company has became in spite of it's business practices and the lack of respect for it's employees. Everything will seem fantastic until you get the attention of upper management (deservedly or not). They will typically not fire anyone, however it is common practice to set employees up to fail (there are literally closed door meetings to decide how this will be done). They promote Core Values which only apply when it is in their best interest - otherwise it's "Core What?". I've seen employees get fired for misfiling a piece of jewelry (yes, that's bad) but I've also seen employees who closed a store and went home without locking the front door or pulling down the security gate (store was left unlocked for hours!) and the violation was covered up. Your success (and continued employment with this company) will be impacted more by who you sleep with (or who they THINK you're sleeping with!) than your proven ability to succeed at your job. And most importantly, if the company demands that you offer less than full value to a client for the gold they bring in - either sacrifice your integrity or update your resume. Unfortunately, this culture of "step-in-line" or there's the door happens quite frequently. The most benign mistakes, expressing your opinion WHEN ASKED, and even personal injuries (!) can get you branded as an "enemy of the corporation" and they will find a way to get rid of you. Every day you come into work is like playing Russian Roulette.

Advice to Management

Live up to your posted Core Values.

"Fairness, honesty and integrity should be in everyone's tool kit of values."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cash America part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pawn business is unique and unlike any other, and the company does a fairly decent job of letting their store managers achieve success without micro-managing, or at least that was my experience. If you are able to successfully manage one of their stores for several years, you will learn everything there is to know about running a business and those skills will likely remain with you always.

Cons

Although the company strives for an even keel in its policies of fairness, honesty..... many of the mid level managers I worked for seemed to think that those policies were only to be enforced at the store manager level and below. Very few of those mid level managers had formal educations and the fact that I was pursuing a BS on my own time was viewed negatively by some as it was possibly taking focus away from my ability to run a store - not true.

Advice to Management

Upper Management - take some time and visit the stores or at least call the store manager and be available for a lengthy conversation - not just the big stores, but the smaller ones as well. There are many new ideas to be considered.