Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Blessed to be there, blessed to leave early

Sep 27, 2014 - Entry Level Programmer in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seeing what you need to know to be marketable. You may not learn these things because they will not teach it to you, so you must teach yourself. They definitely will ask you to perform even though you have not been taught. Its a good way for someone living at home with their parents with no bills and no financial obligations to learn and earn a little (and I do mean little) money. Don't try to support yourself or your family off of the money you make here or you will be stressed out. Awesome (perfect opportunity) for people who are hungry, just want to learn and don't care about supporting themselves or going into debt trying to live in, or commute to Baltimore. There are some really good people (non-management) who work here though that will go out of their way to help you and that is a plus.

Cons

The pay is the worst part of working here. That and the 2 year contract that if broken will leave you owing $25,000. It is basically in place so that they can make money off of you for a minimum of 2 years since you are locked in at that $15 an hour wage and can't do or say anything about it. No parking, no time off, no voice, and no opinion here. I dread coming in to work sometimes, lately especially.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful

Catalyte Response

Vice President

It is absolutely correct that Catalyst offers an innovative program whereby individuals can receive valuable computer programming training that allows them to be employed in the IT industry as a software developer, and that in lieu of paying for that training (like one does when one takes courses at a college; in fact associates in our training program receive a daily stipend during part of their training), they agree to work for Catalyst for at least two years following their training. Developer 1 pay does start at $15 per hour with health benefits, as described in our postings related to the program, our website dedicated to the program (www.catalystlearns.com), and the interview all applicants have before being accepted into it. Catalyst has a culture of quickly promoting those who show merit through on-the-job performance. We are proud that our employee turnover is quite low compared to industry standards, including for employees who have gone though our training program and have been with us for at least two years.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I was skeptical, but it's a good company to work for

May 20, 2021 - Software Developer I
    Business Outlook

Pros

The training cycle is intense. I learned more in six months than I did in five years of previous job experience. They really strive to provide a good balance between career and personal life. I have never been encouraged (and have been actively discouraged) from putting in hours on the weekends or evenings even though I work remotely.

Cons

Pay is reduced to compensate for free training

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good for career start

Apr 19, 2021 - Software Engineer in Milwaukie, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Gets you into the software industry without prior experience. - Gives you lots of experience across multiple companies, beefing up your resume with multiple clients while being employed by one company (Catalyte) - Untracked vacation time for Salaried employees - Pays the majority of healthcare premiums for employees - Since COVID, has become very remote friendly

Cons

- Often client engagements don't last more than a year, which can also not be great for a resume - Often salary is a bit below what you could get working for another company - Often get stuck working on Clients that are overbearing and have high expectations and little understanding (and bad culture) - Catalyte culture is not as great as it used to be, partially because of company growth, partially because we're all remote, and partially because Catalyte is increasingly become a talent pipeline for other companies with less incentive to retrain their own employees. - Does not subsidize healthcare premiums for family members - Does not do 401K Matching - Catalyte has become very draconian about their Slack, they do not allow anyone except a select group of admins to create new channels or upload new emojis. They've even disabled the ability to delete one's own messages. Feels like leadership doesn't trust their employees anymore. In comparison, Nike is far bigger than Catalyte but they haven't locked down their slack the way Catalyte has. This contributes to Catalyte's cultural decline.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Catalyte.