Caterpillar - IT at Caterpillar is improving, very slowly | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar

"IT at Caterpillar is improving, very slowly"

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and job stability seems good. Most of the people here are very good to work with and most of us treat each other with maturity and respect. Endless opportunities in several areas of the company are available for those seeking them.

Cons

Lots of red tape, IT struggles to get outs of its own way. Often Cat is penny wise and dollar foolish. Difficult to find and keep good help (IT expertise from agencies). We often hear mixed, confused or impossible messages from middle management. Growth path for technically minded IT people seems limited. Claims of 'work life balance' are defined in wildly different ways depending on what area you work in.

Advice to Management

I wish we could eliminate some overhead by flattening the organization more and trusting our people enough to show genuine support for more grassroots efforts.

Other Employee Reviews for Caterpillar

"Good place to start but don't plan on staying here too long"

Current Employee - Engineer in Griffin, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Griffin, GA

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand name. Known to be the best in the heavy equipment industry, although heavy equipment industry has not had any breakthroughs for decades.

Cons

promotions are not merit based. Accountability is just a word, not something that is followed.
    Even if the manager made a bad decision they are not held responsible but rather promoted! Very discouraging to see that at the workplace. Many of the managers are not willing to listen to the flaws of the company that cause the current problems but continue to ignore the problems. Depending on which part of Caterpillar you are working in, you will get more opportunities than others. The Culture fosters all of the wrong behavior and leads to more problems.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are promoting the right kind of people and keep them accountable for the decisions that they make.

2. "Bellweather Corporation"

Former Employee - Six Sigma Black Belt in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Six Sigma Black Belt in Decatur, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of training and development opportunity. Decent compensation. Has potential to be a global leader in the area of sustainability through direct sales, product development, and customer influence.

Cons

Corporate culture does not enable innovation in product design and development.