Caterpillar - Caterpillar - Exporting Producs, Importing Revenue, a good place to call Home | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar

"Caterpillar - Exporting Producs, Importing Revenue, a good place to call Home"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Peoria, IL

Pros

Good technical career path in most engineering areas. The sub-units (engineering sections) are run by engineering supervisors who have engineering degrees, so they typically understand the work they are dishing out..

Cons

Way to focused on processes, it's like we believe Utopia can really work, and very little slack is given for non-conformance. Some managers are obsessed with "just follow the proces and nothing can go wrong. Everything will go wrong if we don't follow the process"

Advice to Management

Focus on the product...implement the processes in a more sensible manner since there's good value in most of the processes we learn.

Other Employee Reviews for Caterpillar

"Don't work here unless you want to be miserable in the middle of nowhere."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Peoria, IL

Pros

The pay is fine. The benefits are fine. I did like some of the people that I worked it seeing as we were all in similar positions. There is not much else I can see as being a positive. I feel like I had a very standard experience as a recent college graduate working for Cat. Cat is only good for a certain kind of person, which was not me.

Cons

Read how I rated things. You are working for a company dealing with downsizing, fear of bankruptcy, and many other issues. I felt like a pawn. It was awful. I didn't have the opportunities offered to me that I was promised.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to college kids about what they are getting into. I went to a well accredited engineering school in the midwest and had many job opportunities.

"Large company with many opportunities if you have the persistence and desire to pursue them."

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in Peoria, IL

Pros

Large company with stable employment. Layoffs are rare. Opportunity to work in a variety of locations around the world in many different types of jobs. Engineers in product development can be involved in all phases of the development process from design, to testing and production. It is very rewarding to participate in the design life cycle of Cat products.

Cons

Large company with resulting political issues. It can take a long time and a lot of people to get something done. Office environment is very bad. Large open office spaces with small cubicles and no windows. The company has become very process oriented, so much so that many times the implementation of the process seems to be more important than the results. 6 Sigma is still the mantra. Promotions can be difficult if a person wants to stay on a technical track and not move around to different jobs.

Advice to Management

Concentrate less on process requirements and more on developing people. Management should encourage development of technical roles with authority and responsibility.