Catherines - Low pay, inconsistent scheduling, and terrible management. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Catherines

"Low pay, inconsistent scheduling, and terrible management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Catherines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount and the fact I had a job were the only pros.

Cons

I worked here for a little over a year and literally had four different store managers in that time frame. The assigned work schedules were inconsistent. There were some weeks when I'd only be scheduled to work 10 hours for an entire week! Store management would never give you a schedule more than a week ahead of time. The management was incompetent, and the pay was 25 cents above minimum wage. Just an awful job.

Advice to Management

Train store associates so they can properly and successfully do their jobs. Hire competent store managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Catherines

1. "AWFUL"

I worked at Catherines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, easy to learn.

Cons

I worked for Catherines for over 2 years in several stores and the pay was so low for my job duties. First I started off as a regular sales associate and I only worked about 6 hours a week. It wasn't even worth the gas it took to get there, honestly. I stuck it out and after a year I was basically a shift manager. I believe the company had unrealistic sales expectations, to the point where staff around various stores became pushy with customers in order to meet sales goals. Our clothes are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced ($40-$60 dollars is the general price range for an item of clothing). There were so many different sales and media that we had to set up, meaning we had to rearrange the store about once a month. The pressure to make sales combined with nasty/angry customers and the crazy amount of store maintenance was absurd.
    The corporate culture is just shameful.
    Few hours - unless you're willing to take on a management position, be prepared to work only between 3-12 hours a week. This is company policy, as they are really stingy with their hours and pay.

Advice to Management

Management was really nice, they are just following orders from their bosses and corporate demands.

2. "Good experience in retail."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Catherines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with a great team that it is always encouraging and supportive.

Cons

The focus on Perks and credit cards can be frustrating- Many customers already have the cards, or have informed us that they are not in a position to open a card. I never feel comfortable pushing credit cards on people who expressed discomfort with the financial burden.