Cato - I want more, I want more | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cato

"I want more, I want more"

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cato full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with your staff and interacting with customers

Cons

The company is always pushing you to do more without meeting you half way with a decent salary. Corporate comes up with ideas that takes away from us... Loss prevention issues and customer service. We work on 2 person coverage with a nice sized store but we are to harass customers by pushing product on them all while greeting within 15 sec, helping customers who need help. For eight dollars an hr for mgmt

Advice to Management

Stop coming up with these stupid ideas for sales etc. When we push customers they don't like it and half bring the merchandise back. Listen to us that work in the stores. Not someone who hasn't work in a store for ages. Your ground people have insight, not corporate

Other Employee Reviews for Cato

"Opportunity for Promotion, but Negative Culture, Incompetent Upper Management."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cato full-time

Pros

Promotion from within, a good opportunity for those who have had trouble getting a job at other retailers.

Offers retail positions in small towns where there may be few opportunites.

Bonus program which awards up to $300 per month if a store makes sales plan, an additional $1000 per year if you make "President's Club."

Company continues to open new stores, creating more job opportunites, and has stores in many states.

Company is generally very good about keeping up with maintenance issues within the store, and stores are clean and inviting.

Cons

Store managers required to work a minimum of 45 hours per week. During my time with Cato I found that this trended closer to fifty hours.

Work/life balance is very out of proportion for SMs.

Manager pay for SMs and Assistants is much, much lower than the pay for these same positions at other retailers. This is especially a problem when considering the extremely long hours for SMs. Full-time assistants in my store made $8 and $9 an hour at a time when minimum wage was $7.35 and other retail assistants in the market were making $10-$15/hour.

Vacation/PTO is much less than at other retailers. SMs working 45+ hours a week will accrue only three days off by the end of the first year of employment.

Training/onboarding is inefficient,rushed, and not well designed to produce successful leaders.

Technology (POS systems, communication) is far behind the norm.

Policy and procedure are valued above all else, even if said policies are counterproductive, as they often are with this company.

Sales plans are not based in reality. While most retail companies see small steady growth as ideal, and plan stores between 3-8% above LY, my Cato store was often planned 50-100% above LY.

There is a very serious disconnect between the home office and the field. Employees at the home office are clearly pained to have to take calls from store associates (For instance, the "Help Desk," which is the tech support department, whose sole purpose should be to support the field and keep the store's systems running, seem to hate their jobs and are extremely rude on the phone, to the point that associates in the stores dread calling. Payroll department and credit processing are the same way). I was made to feel that the stores and their associates were a burden to the home office, rather than the heart and soul of the company, which is what the stores actually are. Senior management does not seem to truly care about the stores at all.

District and Regional managers are not leaders. They do not seek to inspire, develop, or coach those who report to them. They are simply managing , often by fear, interested only in covering themselves in the eyes of their supervisors. Promotions are made not based on someone's qualification or personal ability, but based on senority, which puts people in leadership positions who are not effective leaders. DM and RM visits are primarily white-glove checks, looking for cobwebs or dust above the windows, with little or no attention to the customer experience, and absolutely no attempt to develop any talent in the store.

Stores are audited continuously. There is no tolerance for taking time to train someone, to let them make mistakes and learn from them. If something is wrong, you are counted off on your audit. Period. DMs audit the store at least once a month, at my store the RM did an audit about every 6 weeks. Loss Prevention audits each store every 6 months, and each store is secret shopped (Another kind of audit) once in every 3 months.

Overall, this company does not care about its people, period. It is evident in the poor compensation package, the poor work/life balance, the hateful culture coming from HO and upper management. There are far better retail companies out there.

Advice to Management

In order to attract and retain higher-quality employees, you need to offer a better compensation plan and better work/life balance. Hire, train, develop and promote leaders, not just managers. There needs to be a companywide initiative to get rid of the negativity that defines your work culture. Home Office needs to be made aware that the stores are where the revenue comes from, and to treat field associates and managers with respect, not disdain.

2. "Fast Track"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very high energy company to work for with lots of opportunity.

Cons

Store managers work 45 hours or more and little pay.

Advice to Management

Great company if not your main income for your family.