Cell Genesys - What happened? | Glassdoor

"What happened?"

Former Employee - Scientist II in South San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Scientist II in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good work atmosphere, very friendly and sincere people. It was a fun place to work, along with a good network building opportunity. Good pay and great benefits. You could tell that Management cared about its employees, even during the last few months.

Cons

Didn't like the friction between certain R&D groups, could sometimes be distracting. Very saddening to see the way things turned out.

Advice to Management

Adjust planning and expectations accordingly with tangible progress.

Other Employee Reviews for Cell Genesys

1. "A sad loss for the biotechnology community"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

I enjoyed my job at Cell Genesys. It was a great group of people to work with and the atmosphere was productive and focused. The benefit package and salary was generous and the HR department was very good. There was open communication and cooperation among most departments. The company had a family atmosphere, with regular monthly social gatherings for employees. Employees were able to have flexability in their work hours, which made it family friendly. I hope I can find a similar environment in my next employment opportunity.

Cons

Unfortunately there was a massive downsizing of employees, and the South San Francisco site has been closed.

Advice to Management

I think the bar was set too high in the clinical trials, with a patient population too advanced in the disease for a successful outcome. I still think the therapy has value for a specific patient population for cancer treatment, and I sincerely hope the work can continue.

2. "Cell Genesys WAS a good place to work"

Former Employee - . . Engineer in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - . . Engineer in Hayward, CA

Pros

Great product POTENTIAL. Friendly workplace. Some talented people. Workplace sweeties.

Cons

The company went under due to third phase clinical trial failures. A disorganized work place. Scattered odd people were in middle managment postions. Middle management did not communicate well to each other ,or to reporting employees. The decision making processes were poor. These poor processes lead to numoerous poor technical decisions.

Advice to Management

Better technology transfer from bench scale to manufacturing scale.