Cengage Learning - It's an Interesting time to be in Academic Publishing with Cengage Learning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

"It's an Interesting time to be in Academic Publishing with Cengage Learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO, Michael Hansen, inherited a difficult situation at Cengage Learning and has clearly brought in a strong upper management team and seems to be heading the Company in the right direction. With his tenure, there has been increased focus and collaboration on more of the right things.

Cons

It takes time to turn a large ship around, and there are still processes in place that are cumbersome and laborious. Although most of the "old guard" are no longer at the company, vestiges of the old culture remain, making it difficult to be quick and nimble.

Advice to Management

Compensation tends to lag behind salaries in other Bay Area industries ... and should be evaluated. Work/life balance should also be examined.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning

"Co-workers are great, smart, energetic and do great work. The company doesn't seem to notice that anymore."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people. The work is gratifying in that we help students learn and grow. Most direct managers I've had have been very easy to work with.

Cons

Work-life balance is deteriorating. After being able to work from home some have been forced back to the office where they do not work directly with anyone and have no reason to physically be in the office. The pay is on the very low end of our business and raises and bonuses have been almost non-existent in my time there.

Advice to Management

Pay, raises, bonuses need to be addressed. Work-life balance has deteriorated greatly with forcing people to be in an office they don't physically need to be in. Happy employees are productive employees.

"Great company slowly being pulled apart"

I worked at Cengage Learning (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people, who for the most part joined textbook publishing because they care deeply about education and having a positive impact on students' lives

Cons

Being owned by private equity changed corporate goals to emphasize return-on-investment at all costs, so that financials drove every single decision.

Advice to Management

Be more open with employees about actual circumstances.