Cengage - Pro activity and hard work are actively discouraged. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Pro activity and hard work are actively discouraged."

Former Employee - Production in Mason, OH
Former Employee - Production in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Some good colleagues. Easy work.

Cons

Incompetence abounds. No one is held accountable. Lack of work ethic in the department I worked in. The middle managers were "yes" women as they didn't want to "rock the boat." Only fellow yes women were promoted in that department. I worked hard, did my job, and did it right; however, that wasn't enough. I needed to join the "quilting circle" to be part if the "in crowd." Sorry, I came to do my work. I didn't go to work to chit chat and sing "Kumbaya" in the friendship circle. Senior management very male dominated. They talked a good game, but never seemed to follow through.

Advice to Management

Take a look a real look at what's going on in middle management. Hold people accountable for ter work. Stop adding layers of middle managers, as well. Talk to your low level "worker bees" to find out what's really goin on. Hire more professional managers and HR department.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Happy to be Gone"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is great. Telecommuting for most positions is an option.

Cons

Where to start? I was there for almost 4 years. In the same position. With practically the same (horrible) pay. The work was mind-numbing. The cubicle was demoralizing. My manager was content with being stagnant. This translated into my manager wanting ME to be stagnant. Promoting from within was an issue. 'Clicks' were an issue.

Advice to Management

Don't roll out half-baked initiatives and then proceed to change them dramatically every month. It's frustrating. Appreciate the talent you have and PAY them what the are worth.

"Great potential, challenging culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cengage Learning has some great people and market leading products in its portfolio. In many teams, people and their experience are valued, and innovation is allowed to flourish. The company has a great attitude towards charitable giving through a wide variety of campaigns and projects, which makes employees feel good about giving back to the likes of Teach for America, It Gets Better videos for LBGT community, Everybody Wins Power Lunch reading mentor program and more.

Cons

Currently, Cengage is owned by Apax Capital Investments, and my experience at CL was that there is a huge disconnect about the changing reality of higher education, pricing, and urgency to change the way publishers deliver content in the face of open source content, new technology, and a number of new players on the tech scene. Many managers have been promoted with little to no experience actually managing products or people, and the result is a lack of cohesive overall strategy. This lack of consistency can pit cross functional teams at odds with the goals of other groups. Additionally, the heavily leveraged financial situation that Cengage faces is troubling for stability and confidence that they are willing to invest what it takes to deliver tomorrow's solutions for their rapidly changing markets.

Advice to Management

Get a cross-functional board of middle managers together to help you prioritize initiatives that will keep you competitive. Understand that while setting up frameworks and policies will help achieve some consistency, they may not work for every market/group. Figure out how to be more nimble with product development, particularly technology.