Cengage - Getting better -- we're on the right track. finally! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Getting better -- we're on the right track. finally!"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New senior leadership is on a mission to re-engage and rebuild employees and this business. Refreshing and inspiring.

Cons

Lots of change - some of it painful - to get Cengage back on course. If you can't stand ambiguity or change - this place is not for you.

Advice to Management

Be thoughtful and deliberate in your haste to make changes. Do it right.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Dysfunctional and Mismanaged"

Current Employee - Assistant Editor
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people who work at Cengage are wonderful.

Cons

There is a glaring lack of communication between departments, which creates a pervasive culture of confusion. The company is constantly reorganizing, seemingly without any regard for the employees affected by the reorgs. Upper management is secretive and often maintains a tone of blatant disrespect for the entry-level employees. Mid-management is in shambles because of the reorgs and there is a constant struggle between the new managers (who are not discipline-aligned) and old manangers (who are discipline-aligned). Again, this creates confusion for the entry-level employees, some of whom have as many as 4 "managers" telling them different things do and different ways to handle things. There are frequent promotions for mid/upper level managers (who then do not receive proper training to manage employees), but there is literally zero room for entry-level employees to move up. I say "literally" because they have simply stopped replacing people leave the company. Perhaps the most infuriating aspect of the job is that management seems oblivious to the fact that a significant portion of their employees are recent college grads. Rather than use us a resource, we have to sit in meetings where managers refer to college students as "lazy" and "think they are always right," simply because students refuse to shell out $300 for a textbook that they can get second-hand for much less. This is a terrible place to work. The pay is pretty much impossible to live on (WELL below market) and because they aren't filling entry-level positions, most of us are filling what should be multiple jobs with no extra pay. The enviornment is toxic, the good employees are all jumping ship (wisely) and the company refuses to adapt new strategies that would actually lower the cost of textbooks.

Advice to Management

For some incomprehensible reason, you can't seem to grasp the fact that if we took steps to create low-cost texts and products, students would probably be a lot less "lazy" when it comes to buying their books. Look up what Louie C.K. did with "Live at the Beacon Theater." Pretty much the same concept should be applied here. I will leave it at that, since there's nothing I can say that would affect the way management operates.

2. "Fit for people who are looking for a conservative industry."

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with people from other regional branch offices was a fun experience.

Cons

Conservative industry. Big political issues in branch office. Boss yelling at people everyday. Although I was not the one who's often yelled at, I feel bad for those who are mistreated. Lack of employee training program.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team and customer. People are the valuable assets in this company. Political issues would lead to low team morale. Invest on those who really have the ability to do things well, not on those who only knows how to play politics well.