Cengage - Great people working to make the company more profitable | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Great people working to make the company more profitable"

Current Employee - Associate Development Editor in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Associate Development Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The content in history and political science is very strong and diverse. With numerous high-profile authors, the content side of the business popular and effective.

Cons

Digital delivery of content remains a struggle, as it is for many publishers.

Since the company is a merger of several large and small companies, it has taken several years to iron out these pieces and standardize operations.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"The best work environment I have ever experienced."

Current Employee - Agile Software Developer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Agile Software Developer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Awesome team / collaborative / agile environment.

Overall, this is a great place to work. I enjoy coming in almost every day, and I find the work interesting and challenging. I have learned more in my time at this job than in any other two jobs I can think of.

Cons

None that I can think of. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work... and raise salaries a bit. I think we're slightly underpaid compared to the market.

"Run, Run FAST!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When the company was Thomson, it was wonderful! The management cared about their employees and worked with them. When APAX bought Thomson and spent millions to change name (as ridiculous as it is!) , it all started to go downhill...

Cons

Several things:
    1. I was an overachieving sales rep and i got laid off with about 200 other employees, with ZERO warning. IN FACT, they told the people who got to keep their jobs BEFORE the ones let go. WHO DOES THAT? You don't think the close knit group of reps are going to talk. You are sorely mistaken. Most of those people were successful and the new upper management thought it would be a better idea to keep the rookies with zero publishing or Cengage experience.

2. They gave the people they "allowed" to keep their jobs HUGE raises and promise of large commission.

3. When laid off, zero explanation of why or how the decisions were made. All 200 of these people are out there trying to explain this to new employers and their only response is "you must've been a under performing rep, because they don't just let GOOD reps go." I can assure you they do! I was well over the mid-year goal and I still got laid off.

4. Read about the restructure Cengage is trying to do. Again, big, BIG trouble for this company.

5. 15-20% price increases within 60 days. Try to explain that to a prof and bookstore without management backing you up, other than to say "prices have increased..."

6. You are a competitor far behind Pearson and don't think you aren't. They have superior products, services, Reps and Marketing/Editorial. They are definitely the cream of the crop.

Advice to Management

Watch your backs....many of these laid off people have gone to competitors and WILL get their justice by taking away your business. Cengage, you are sinking and sinking FAST. Bankruptcy is guaranteed in your near future. I hope you all can sleep at night.