Cengage - Struggling to make the digital transition | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Struggling to make the digital transition"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Belmont, CA
Former Employee - Data Analyst in Belmont, CA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people on the technology side who know how to deliver the next generation educational technology products. The teams I worked with have a lot of heart and camaraderie. Some of the senior management I worked with/for was great, and I always personally received a lot of support from them.

Cons

I apologize that this review might be a bit delayed. I left this company last summer to take on a new opportunity. I wasn't actively looking, so I was somewhat satisfied with my role.

That being said, when I was there, Cengage struggled a lot with obsolete processes, systems and databases. I could feel senior management wanting to make that leap, but I think they were not equipped to do so. They need a bit of a refresh to get together the right strategy.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know modern methods to product development and business strategy who can provide insight to senior- and executive-level management.

As you're transitioning, don't forget to stay at the pulse of the customer. This is a smart long-term growth strategy and will solidify your brand. The sales and customer support teams have a wealth of information about the customers that isn't captured and should be involved in the product development strategy. Leverage your Sales and Customer Support data. It is VERY useful.

Hire smart data scientists, who can do deep dives into the product and can help you personalize the customer experience. They are what you need to get ahead of the competition.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Was a great company until new management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule allowed you to work your territory like a small business owner. You used to be able to see the benefit of hours of hard work.

Cons

Constant change in price structure undermined customer relationships. Lack of price transparency will continue to lose business as competitors cease on this weakness.

"Cirque du Soleil"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are few smart and talented people left but I don't know why the stay there.

Cons

My review got rejected most likely because people didn't want to see the harsh truth I wrote. Too bad Cengage doesn't want to learn from its mistakes, very typical. Hopefully this one doesn't get rejected as well.

Here's a summary of what I wrote earlier:
    1. Most of HR isn't any good. They follow procedure instead of think of ways to improve things for employees.
    2. Editorial is a mess. They have constant power plays and backstab each because of those folks don't know how to transition from a digital company. They are afraid of becoming irrelevant.
    3. They can't keep top talent. Too many talented software engineers, ux designers, and data analysts have left for companies that probably appreciate them and pay them almost twice as much.
    4. VPs and directors play useless numbers games, that actually don't help the business in the end.
    5. A traditional publishing company that wants to go digital, but they continue promoting people who have NO idea how to be digital.
    6. Compensation is too low, about 20-30% below market, depending on the job.
    7. Not modern at all in every aspect: marketing, sales, technology, editorial.

Cengage will die off if it continues to refuse learning from its mistakes.

Advice to Management

You are too top heavy. Instead of keeping and promoting people based on tenure,