Cengage - We Finally Seem to be on the Move | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"We Finally Seem to be on the Move"

Current Employee - Product Manager
Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is new energy around the company these days, and management seems to be aware of our biggest concerns about communication, vision and execution seem to have a viable plan to address these problems.

In the past two months, my degree of responsibility, power to execute on plans I make, and understanding of the company's goals and commitments have improved exponentially. There seem to be far fewer layers of approval (or disapproval) between me and my goals and lately it is much easier to get the necessary people on board to make things happen.

My colleagues have always been top notch. I continue to enjoy the opportunity to work with really great people.

Cons

Many of these "pros" are tentative. A lot depends on us being able to maintain our newly acquired momentum.

There is a lot of uncertainty in this industry. It is clear that education is ALWAYS going to be important, but In The Future, none of us is certain who will be delivering it and what will be the best way to earn a living making education happen.

I am willing to give the new management and new organizational structure a try, but have decided not to pursue a promotion for which I think I would be perfect because it would involve moving my family, and I'm not yet willing to bet the farm on my new found enthusiasm for this company.

Advice to Management

You seem to be really listening: to our customers, to our industry and to us. There is some skepticism among my colleagues about whether your interest and investment in us is genuine or just the latest management craze. I, for one, sort of don't care which it is. For the first time in a long while, at least someone is saying something that makes sense.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"I stuck with this company for far too long"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Laid back management
    - Generally do not work past 40 hours

Cons

- Very little career development. All the good projects go to contractors
    - Software guys have little influence.
    - Brain dead business units who don't have a clue when it comes to technology
    - Way too much changes in upper management in the past few years

"Too much change and no vision"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Ability to climb the ladder. There were many opportunities for training and mentoring, but very much about who you knew and not what you knew.

Cons

No vision for future. Change happened at a rapid pace within the organization. Inability to compete with other companies on price because of buyout.