Cengage - Company in transformaton | Glassdoor

"Company in transformaton"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Change breeds opportunity, and there is a lot of change at Cengage these days. Hopefully new management and the emergence from Chapter 11 will allow the company to pursue more aggressive product development and growth opportunities.

Cons

Has been a very tumultuous work environment because of the crushing debt burden pre-Chapter 11, and very conflicting messages and direction from top management. There have been many needed changes to top management - time will tell whether they are for good or bad.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Big corporate publisher living in a mean little bubble."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With hard work and passion for education, I was able to move up swiftly.

Cons

It's funny that I just received my letter about Cengage's bankruptcy today...I've been thinking lately how different my life is now working for a company with a culture of accountability, kindness and recognition of true achievement. My memories of Cengage generally center around the mean clique of middle to upper managers who had been with the company for years and years and had no discernible worry about performance or innovation. Years of observing superiors taking advantage of the company's flexible work policies, abuse of expense accounts, rewarding cronies for strategies that yielded no results and taking advantage of the lower-level, hard working employees is what I remember first. But in the wake of the bankruptcy, I see all of this in context: editors and marketing directors truly felt that they knew everything and didn't need to do any market research, review their competitor's technology or content or put in the effort to innovate. They knew that they could not be fired that within the crony culture of the company, it was not necessary to perform, work too hard or meet any particular goal. Nothing changed, nothing was fixed, students interests were not a priority.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to clean house of high-paid employees that you know are abusing the system...do what any ethical, profit-oriented company does and hire the best and hold them to high standards of performance and professional conduct.

"Good place to work if you love publishing"

Current Employee - Content Developer in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Content Developer in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cengage has:
    -Talented, committed, and innovative people
    -Team-oriented
    -Flexible work schedule [in my function]
    -Stable work environment [in many functions]
    -Good benefits
    -Low turnover in many function areas

Cons

Cengage has:
    -A lot of transitions and reorgs within the company due to its current financial restructuring which have negatively impacted morale
    -Depending on function, not enough opportunities to advance because of an abundance of talent

Advice to Management

You must make it an absolute priority to retain and promote people who are talented, hardworking, and dedicated. It will end up costing the company more in terms of stability, revenue, customer focus, and innovation if you do not.