Cengage - Do not accept a job offer at this place!!! | Glassdoor

"Do not accept a job offer at this place!!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people who work here and that is the ONLY thing I miss about it.

Cons

Leadership and Management - From Michael Hansen, to Bleichmar, to the SVP's and on down to DM's. This company talks a good game about caring for its employees, and about building strong culture, etc., etc. but the only culture that is valued here is a culture where employees are 'yes men' and don't question the status quo and remain silent while leadership makes mind-boggling decisions. Cengage Unlimited has turned out to be a huge mistake that was pushed for by leadership without a full understanding of the financial impact it would have on the company's bottom line. Or take for instance the move to Pier 4, a highly expensive piece of real estate, that in reality Cengage could not afford to make, given what we now know about their losses this mid-year, which has meant layoffs all around. The merger with McGrawHill will probably be their only saving grace because without it, Cengage would likely cease to exist in another five years, maybe less. If I were McGraw I'd abandon the merger and let Cengage's leadership sink the company, which is where it would have been headed. (Picture the Titanic slowly disappearing below the waters) So to summarize: at Cengage employees don't matter, culture doesn't matter and to a great extent even their products ultimately don't matter. Any profits earned here are used to pay off investors and the salaries of the Executives (of which there is an inordinate amount) who run the various business units, rather than creating great products. There is no innovation happening at this place! Salary - salaries are below industry average, (except for the DM's, SVP's and Exec's - they always seem to do well at Cengage). I got a raise that numbered in pennies during the last review (and that was with a good performance appraisal)! Some colleagues I know received no increases whatsoever. If you are a person who loves innovation, who wants great company culture and an environment that values what you bring to the table - Cengage is not the place for you! Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, management here doesn't take advice - this is a company that is beholden to investors and that's who their decisions are centered around.

Cengage2019-11-16
  1. "No other culture and environment like it"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You won't find another company that makes you feel like family on your first day of work. The entire culture and environment is the number one pro about Cengage. The training and expectations are superb and the help that is all around is always willing to work together as a team to achieve goals. Cengage will motivate you to do your best for not only Cengage but yourself. They help you learn quick and you will never be scared to ask questions.

Cons

There are no cons working at Cengage in Independence!

Cengage2019-09-11
  2. "Great culture"

Current Intern - Learning Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage for less than a year

Pros

Great people and culture

Cons

Slightly laid back but overall good

Cengage2020-01-17

Discover more reviews about Cengage.