Cengage - Enjoyed working with their team very much. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Enjoyed working with their team very much."

Former Contractor - Author
Former Contractor - Author

I worked at Cengage as a contractor

Pros

I am an author of a textbook for the massage industry. I enjoyed working with the Cengage team, and felt that I received a great deal of support from them. Together we turned out a very nice book.

Cons

I was surprised that they outsourced editing to India, but I suppose I have to remember that we do genuinely have a global economy nowadays. It's tough for editors in the US, though.

Advice to Management

I don't think I really have anything to contribute. I'm not an employee, but a contractor/author, so I don't know much about the day to day workings of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Things turned sour as bankruptcy approached; hope restructuring will revitalize it"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

dedicated employees with long tenure who are good at what they do. Culture is a bit old school though that is changing quickly, however it is still a personal touch environment.

Cons

Employees at all levels were very hierarchical and owned their work, sharing and collaboration were not embraced to any degree. Company struggled because of switch to digital and that mentality of old print vs digital workers existed up through bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

be up front with employees, yet have a plan. Transparency is today's buzzword, but the old management was opaque. The new Excomm must be more transparent.

"Even with Chapter 11, the company is still in denial"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still a few good employees who want to see the company through the bankruptcy. Good work/life balance if you have the ethics to actually do the work portion of the equation. Some pockets of good teams still exist but it is getting more difficult to find them.

Cons

The company would like to have the public believe that the root cause for the need to file for Chapter 11 is the challenges that exist in the education market coupled with high debt. If this were truly the case, why aren't other 4 year college publishers suffering the same fate? The truth of the matter is that the company has been completely mismanaged over a period of years. Managers and Senior Managers are selected on the "who you know basis" versus performance. As can be seen on this site, the reviews are all over the place and this supports the summation that a lot of corporate cronyism exists here. A lack of ethics and integrity is pretty pervasive and this is especially so within the HR department and mid level management as a whole.

On the product side of the house, Cengage has yet to learn from the mistakes of the past and continues to pump out one failed technology product after another. Rather than listen to the voices of the many, senior management prefers to listen to the voice of the few (typically one) and the end result is a product that sounds great on paper but fails to meet the needs in terms of quality and scalability. The end product performs poorly where the immediate fix is to simply "throw more hardware at it".

Advice to Management

Clean out house of all legacy executives and bring in a quality team of executives who will lead by example. Hold directors and managers accountable for their decisions. Train those managers who have potential for positions of greater responsibility. Get rid of those managers who simply shouldn't be in the role. Bring back a culture of integrity and develop a higher standard of work ethic. It only takes one bad apple to ruin the lot so without significant change in management, I am doubtful that there will be much success coming out of Chapter 11.