Cengage - Product Manager | Glassdoor

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Ability to telecommute which is great. People are all great and very collaborative.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Sometimes there can be a lot of churn and no ability to get stuff done which can get frustrating.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Typical Corporation. Top Gets Paid, Everyone Else is Afraid."

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. The general staff are very hard working, talented and decent people.

Cons

Staff is overworked, underpaid and undervalued. Senior staff is very controlling, old school and derogatory towards anyone under them. They lack ethics, compassion and especially vision. Product line is confusing and inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Come down off your pedestals and learn to lead. Or make room for respectable leaders with vision and drive to bring this company out of its downward spiral.

"Enjoyed working with their team very much."

Former Contractor - Author
    Former Contractor - Author

I worked at Cengage as a contractor

Pros

I am an author of a textbook for the massage industry. I enjoyed working with the Cengage team, and felt that I received a great deal of support from them. Together we turned out a very nice book.

Cons

I was surprised that they outsourced editing to India, but I suppose I have to remember that we do genuinely have a global economy nowadays. It's tough for editors in the US, though.

Advice to Management

I don't think I really have anything to contribute. I'm not an employee, but a contractor/author, so I don't know much about the day to day workings of the company.