Cengage - Hypocritical lower Management made this a tough place to work. Glad I left when I did. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Hypocritical lower Management made this a tough place to work. Glad I left when I did."

Former Employee - Technical Support in Independence, KY
Former Employee - Technical Support in Independence, KY

I worked at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and time off are good.

Cons

Lower Management Strongly Resistant to change, even though CEO encourages change

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees advice, and don't just dish your own out. Admit when your wrong, and don't insist upon being right.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Over the 10+ years I have been here, some moments and some people have been wonderful."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of variety in career options. People are friendly and genuinely helpful.

Cons

Pay is poor. Currently in bankruptcy. Inconsistencies from one department to another. Those of us who work really hard get paid the same as those that don't. Big secrecy of salaries, and management tells us not to talk to one another about it. Raises past number of years have been in the 1 to 2% range, so we're sliding backwards with health care cost increases. Only way to get ahead is to move to a different department.

"Once a great company to work for"

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Was once a great company to work for but has since changed. Reasonable goals for company is in the past.

Cons

Deteriorating benefits with higher employee payment responsibility. Company in bankruptcy. It's not what you know it's who you know. Different rules apply to different employees when trying to climb the ladder for success. Especially in sales and marketing. HR is only looking out for upper management - be leery of working for this company.

Advice to Management

Look at your senior management team and evaluate how much money it's costing the company in both monetary and employee sacrifices.