Cengage - I work in technology and have been part of the digital transformation at Cengage. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"I work in technology and have been part of the digital transformation at Cengage."

Current Employee - IT Director in Farmington Hills, MI
Current Employee - IT Director in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Organizationally, Cengage is in a state of transition. Digital products are transforming the publishing industry and Cengage is and has been committed to transforming itself both culturally and technologically. The environment is progressive, innovative and open. The teams are centered around getting customers brought into the development process and using their feedback to guide development. They are highly committed to value and quality and so far I have had a lot of fun working here.

Cons

Some of the "old guard" are reluctant to give up on their book publishing roots. They are challenged to accept some of the change the industry is forcing them to move toward. Old book publishing processes are slow to be transformed and are hindering the pace at which the company is moving into the future. I will say that I believe the change laggards recognize the need for change, and are trying to be prudent about changes. The change will happen.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. We are doing the right things, and the pace should continue to increase if we keep going the way we are.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

1. "Exciting place to work (and learn!)"

Current Employee - Communications/Marketing in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Communications/Marketing in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are in an exciting time in our industry and Cengage is an exciting place to be. We are working to meet the changing needs of students, which means the way things have always been done also needs to change. Surrounded by the brightest in the field, Cengage allows for an opportunity to drive change and lead the transition - learning with and from each other along the way.

Cons

Change can be tough, but it is also exciting if you are willing to embrace it. There is a lot of change underway and every day is new day here.

"Immediate coworkers are great, upper management is self-serving and uncaring."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New space in San Francisco is modern and promotes collaboration. For the most part, immediate coworkers and supervisors are excellent people who work with.

Cons

CL is going through serious growing pains. Upper management is trying to shift the company, but are thinking so loftily ("innovation!" "new ideas!") that they have no clue how that translates to the day-to-day. They pass down edicts but no concrete resolutions.

People are leaving by the bucket-load. They are back-filling positions slowly, but it means that a significant percentage of the workforce is new and onboarding. The workload has not diminished, so it is falling to the people who are left. It is also increasingly unclear who to talk to because a lot of knowledge is just gone and workflows are unclear.

Advice to Management

If you want to be a technology company, you need to treat (and pay) employees like a tech company. Otherwise, you will never attract the top engineers and project managers, especially in the SF area.