Cengage - Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily."

Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working in editorial; it gave me a lot of freedom to run projects in ways that my boss and I thought best, and I was able to wear a lot of different hats on any given day or week. This made the job enjoyable. One of the best parts of the job was taking a project through to completion and knowing that it would be used by students and librarians for learning. That was immensely rewarding to me.

Cons

Lots of change in the reference publishing industry over the last few years. Lots of initiatives to find the "next big" electronic solution, and to increase the digital offerings as opposed to print offerings. Many changes in leadership and vision over last seven or eight years.

Advice to Management

I would recommend putting even more time and resources into new product development. It seemed to me that Cengage was looking to workers in "the trenches" to innovate and conceptualize the "next big thing"--instead of having teams/individuals devoted solely to those tasks. Those in the "trenches" are busy enough cranking out existing product, and are not well-suited, or don't have the time available, to conceptualize and innovate new product ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Awesome!"

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support Agent in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Technical Support Agent in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee-centric, many benefits, friendly co-workers, immaculate facility, equitable treatment of employees by Supervisors, advancement opportunities abound, too many more to list!

Cons

Entry-level pay is a bit low for the volume of work required during rush.

Advice to Management

One extra week of classroom training. One extra week of pod training.

"Good Company for the most part but, who's "rules" do we follow?"

Current Employee - Management Services in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Management Services in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO has really turned this company around, with the help of his Executive team! He is very open to listening to all levels of employees! Very excited to have him at the helm and taking us in right direction!

Cons

Dress Code: The CEO just raised moral by abolishing our dress code, empowering his employees to make the right choices in what they wear to the office. However; Management in the Mason office sent an email two days later stating what was not allowed (to me, this means they are making their own dress code and not following what the CEO just ABOLISHED?!) Items such as flip flops, tennis shoes, t-shirts all of which they are considering "beach attire" or "workout clothing" We are adults and have the capability to choose appropriate attire and dress nicely, without the restrictive guidelines of a Business Dress Code. How can this be? Who's rule to do we follow? The CEO abolished the dress code and our department does not meet with clientele. Basically, we were told we are now allowed to wear jeans on a daily basis and that's the only change we have been afforded. Is what we have on our feet each day is going to make or break the company? Aren't there bigger concerns that what shoes your employees are wearing?

Flexibility to work from home if needed: the company, at least our department, does not seem open to allowing employees the opportunity to work from home if an issue arises when we may not be able to make it into the office (sick child, in-climate weather, etc.) This would be a huge benefit and moral boost if we knew we had this capability in the event of an emergency or even one day a week to try saving on gas! Some co-workers I have drive over 40 miles one way for their job here at Cengage! What a help it would be for them, even just once a week; to work from home. We either have to call in and use sick/vacation time or take off unpaid.

Compensation: not at the standards of comparable companies. Two companies have offered me positions in the last year, both of which I turned down for various reasons including that I am excited about what the CEO is doing here! However; the compensation was almost too good to turn down. One of which, was 10k more per year, for the same hours/job, essentially. Cengage needs to get on track with paying the talented people they have, what they are worth! Even if they don't have a degree, because that doesn't necessarily mean "smarter" or "better employee".

Advice to Management

Priorities seem to be out of sync. Trust your employees to make decisions on their own personal appearance (and other aspects of their jobs). Empower them, as the CEO has!