Cengage - reinventing the wheel in silos | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"reinventing the wheel in silos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great, and there is a lot of energy around new products. If you live in SF and don't have personal responsibilities that require working from home from time to time the energy is with you.

Cons

Now that the company is shifting its focus to educational software it is hiring many people who have no publishing background. These people are golden because they come from a tech background, and this means they don't need to learn anything about existing processes. they are often in their own silo and want no input from anyone who has been through the changing landscape of the publishing industry. They would rather reinvent the wheel by themselves. maybe that will work, but it will be needlessly time-consuming.
Meanwhile, those who are not golden are scrambling to protect their jobs, unwilling to collaborate because there might not be enough work for all. A scarcity mentality means less collaboration across teams, despite constant lip service given that term.
since the move to the Sf office and a near cancellation of the possibility to telecommute, many employees with families have been forced out. The commute from peninsula suburbs is expensive and grueling and the time involved means less time with the family. lower than average pay for the area means moving closer to the office is not an option.

Advice to Management

Asking employees to post reviews on glassdoor is disingenuous. We know that means negative glassdoor reviews are causing problems with recruiting top talent.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, dress code-jeans allowed, freedom to do my job

Cons

Against work from home, office needs updating, and need more opportunities for career development

Advice to Management

Build in training/development program and hold managers accountable for developing employees

"Academia is a Big World"

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support Agent in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Technical Support Agent in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Expectations are clear; co-workers are nice to work with; benefits package is robust; lots of room for advancement; liberal dress code

Cons

Company blacks-out sick-days 3x/year; management is not very responsive; recent restructuring has negatively impacted employee morale; some of the products sold are not ready for primetime; high stress work environment

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to agent satisfaction, have agents provide some initial training for their pods, and give an hour lunch option.

Cengage Response

May 19, 2014 – Vice President, Internal Communications

Hey, thank you for your comments and overall optimism. On your Cons, you mentioned that we "black out" sick days. I checked with HR colleagues on this. In the warehouse (your location only), we do ... More