Cengage - Inspiring the world to learn | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Inspiring the world to learn"

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
- The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
- The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
- Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
- The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
- Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
- Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
- Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

Advice to Management

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
- Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
- Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage

"Finally run by competent people"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is finally on track after going through a necessary bankruptcy and getting some dynamic leadership at the C-level. Higher education publishing is changing rapidly and for years senior management refused to accept it and ignored customer needs. Finally this is a customer-focused organization -- hope it's not too late.

Cons

Still heavily silo-ed with lots of red tape and bureaucracy. Good pay relative to the industry, but not to other industries.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

2. "Great environment for working moms!"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Farmington, MI
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Farmington, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the things that I love about Cengage is the work/life balance. I work in sales and one of the things that drew me to the job is the fact that I could make my own schedule pretty much and there was no one over me micro-managing. I have this philosophy, if you do your job, people will know and if you don't people will know that as well.

Cons

Compensation is low starting out

Advice to Management

Get the sales team more information on tends in education, this helps sales and knowledge base on the industry more