Cengage - Good company in flux; seems to be pulling through with flying colors | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage

"Good company in flux; seems to be pulling through with flying colors"

Current Employee - Content Developer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Content Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you must work for corporate America, this is the lesser of many evils - you're actually helping people enrich their lives.
Lots of brilliant people to work with and learn from.
A very supportive culture in terms of growth and development (both professional and personal), and work/life balance.
Supportive of innovation and new ideas.
What do you want to teach yourself? Go grab one of the other department's textbooks and away you go.
A CEO that seems genuine, intelligent, human, and forward-thinking.

Cons

It seems that employees can have an exceedingly wide range of experiences here, depending on which department and team they work with/for.
Lots of people seem to be leaving, every month; most by choice, as far as I am aware. I don't know why, and perhaps that's normal at a company this large, but it does strike me as odd.
Bureaucratic in nature: their hiring process can drag on for months, getting basic office supplies requires a web-based form which requires a username and password to access and a Manager's signature and cost center to actually use, and just getting an offer letter to a contractor that a team decides to hire can take up to a month.

Advice to Management

My advice is not to the CEO, because I get the impression that he "gets it". My advice is to the managers two, three and four levels below him - understand what it means to be a software company, if that is the direction your department/product line is headed, and then re-evaluate absolutely everything you think you know about educational publishing. There seems to be a tremendous gap at this point in the company's history, between the skill-set and knowledge base of middle management and the direction the company is actually headed in.

Other Employee Reviews for Cengage