Cenovus - Good/Bad experience depends which department you work in | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cenovus

"Good/Bad experience depends which department you work in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Vacation policy and 1st and 3rd Fridays off
Involved in some very interesting projects
One of the largest Producers which makes them the big player

Cons

No room for advancement in the company - too many older people (because of the great vacation policy) that will not leave.
Too many people are put into positions that they have no business being in (not enough knowledge or oil background). As a result, senior people are expected to do far too much training because so many people are in positions they should be in.
Senior management and executive team is mostly clueless with regard to the oil industry (mostly ex-gas people from EnCana with no idea about oil.

Advice to Management

Newflash: You are now an Oil company! Stop taking incompetent gas people and putting them into oil jobs that require experience and knowledge.

Other Employee Reviews for Cenovus

1. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Surface Land Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Surface Land Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Excellent benefits program for employees.

Cons

Employee's can get lost in the "shuffle" for individual growth & development.

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Cenovus full-time

Pros

The benefits were great as were the vacation/ time off.

People were top notch especially in the field.

Cons

There was no career path or ability to move upward or cross train into other areas despite the empty promises made in yearly reviews.

There was not a balance between men and women in senior roles or leadership positions. It truly is one of those "good ole boys" companies that does little to none to promote or encourage women.

There was a marked difference between how I witnessed women engineers / PMs and analysts and the constant questioning or cross examining of their work.

I always thought I would return to the company but now that I am working for an organization that actively promotes women, I would never go back or recommend this company to others.

I had an opportunity to voice my complaints and gave many examples but to my knowledge nothing was done to change or improve. Disappointing.

The manager I had was new and was put in the role because he was in the right place at the right time - he didn't have the appropriate experience, training, education or aptitude to be in a leadership position. I left because I was tired of being belittled or constantly scratching my head over conflicting directions.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your organizational structure and see why you are not attracting women talent in senior roles (not just HR and Communications what does your Engineering, IT, and R&D look like?)

Stop with the table banging/ "dragons den" cross examination - its archaic, insulting and ineffective.