Center City PCS - It was horrible, my boss told me her head was on the shoppin block when I asked to have the day off due to my daughters | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Center City PCS

"It was horrible, my boss told me her head was on the shoppin block when I asked to have the day off due to my daughters"

Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Washington, DC

Pros

The student body is awesome and the parents are pretty good. They are involved for the most part in they children affairs .

Cons

No flexibility, not a great place to work if you have kids.
Hours are extremely long 7:30 - 4:30

Advice to Management

Be less reactive and more responsive to both your teachers and student body. Be involved and approchable.

Other Employee Reviews for Center City PCS

1. "They've come a long way, glad I stayed!"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Center City PCS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Responsive to teacher feedback: The CEO and other district staff are open to feedback on how things are going and actually listen to what teachers need. I've seen some changes in PD and curriculum based on feedback that has been shared.

-Opportunities for growth: I've been able to participate in fellowships and outside PD events to become a better teacher. CC also provides opportunities to become a teacher-leader that leads other teachers and collaboration.

-Culture: Despite challenges, I've always felt I can turn to my colleagues and they feel like family. We support each other, our students, and its nice to show up to work with people you know care about you.

-Curriculum: When I first started here 6 years ago, the curriculum was inconsistent or non-existent. I can say now that they've adopted really good programs (EngageNY, Core Knowledge for example) that have stayed put from year to year. We also get time during PD to work with teachers on planning which has helped me get better at using the curriculum from year to year.

Cons

-Work-Life Balance: The number of tasks or initiatives that your leader asks you to do can be overwhelming and lead to work taking up way more time outside of school hours than you think. It can be hard to manage without support.

Advice to Management

Consider prioritizing or limiting the number of initiatives or extra tasks you put on teachers so they can focus their time on instruction and still have a life outside of work.

2. "Changes for the better"

I have been working at Center City PCS full-time

Pros

- Professional growth opportunities
    - Rigorous curriculum to push for students' critical thinking in a real world context
    - Coaching and support to implement curriculum
    - Changes in curriculum have given consistent expectations across the district
    - Multiple resources built alongside curriculum to support all learners
    - Families and the students
    - Non-traditional parent conferences in which teachers give parents the tools to practice foundational skills and standards with kids at home. Also, in middle school, students take ownership of their learning by presenting their work to their parents and set goals for the end of the year.
    - Push toward arts integration at all schools with plays, musicals and more
    - Tough love environment for teachers and students because the goal is clear:
       21st century learners
    - 2 teachers in every classroom
    - Motivated teachers who work together to be solutions orientated. (For example, Science teachers coming together to find new, consistent curriculum for MS Science. - Supported by the Director of Curriculum)
    - Dedicated and passionate campus teams (leaders and teachers)
    - Solution orientated, open and supportive Central Office
    - Around 90 minutes planning daily

Cons

- Some days call for long hours but this is education, who isn't working long hours?
    - Not all schools are the same so there is inconsistency in practice and accountability
    - With 6 schools in different parts of the city and 1 lead and 1 specialist in each grade, it is hard to have PLCs consistently across the district.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the sometimes difficult decisions needed to put students first.
    Continue to listen to teacher feedback and make changes for the majority.