Center For Discovery - Short Term Learning Experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Center For Discovery

"Short Term Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Personal work experience with people that really care about you. Although the company is now over 200 employees, there are roughly thirty employees at each house. The staff I work with are extremely supportive and know you and care about you personally. It will help you grow personally and that in itself will help you grow in your career.

Cons

HORRIBLE benefit packages bad ethics of the company. Upper management could not place a face with my name. This job is emotionally hard and the compensation is not good. This job is the equivalent of an emotional punching bag, because the adolescents are extremely challenging.

Advice to Management

value your employees, look at our employee turnover!

Other Employee Reviews for Center For Discovery

1. "Overall a Good Company"

Current Employee - Counselor II in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Counselor II in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is made up of mostly very empathetic and open minded individuals that work as a team and is dedicated to helping clients, which fosters a positive work atmosphere.

You get to work in a very nicely furnished work environment.

You are given two weeks of training if you are starting up a new facility, where you have time to get to know and interact with your coworkers.

Cons

The hourly pay is terrible. For a for-profit company, they should invest in their employees to show they actually value you. I have a Masters in Psychology, as do many other of my coworkers, and I do not even make $17/hour. Even with negotiating, you still are unlikely to get the amount you value yourself at.

If you are starting up a new house, you might feel like you were thrown under the bus after training because you don't know if what you are doing is correct, but you do your best.

Advice to Management

Keep someone from start-up/training at a new house to make sure the transition from training through the facility opening date runs smoothly and that staff (FM, PD, PT, and Counselors) are following the correct policies and completing all required company procedures. 3-4 weeks would've been ideal for our facility.

Having 2 counselors required at an 8 bed facility is very challenging, especially in emergency situations where one counselor must leave with a ct. to the ER. Leaving 1 staff member with 7 cts is overwhelming and from my perspective, negligent. You cannot effectively perform your job and there will be many oversights and errors that could result in more danger to the clients.
    Therefor it would be a wise idea to hire a 3rd permanent counselor as well as an On Call overnight counselor for when there are 1 to 1s.

"Primary Therapist"

Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Center For Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Center for Discovery offers immense growth opportunities, paid professional trainings, positive staff culture, and competing salaries. The staff works as a team and truly cares about each individual's recovery process.

Cons

Budget cuts (including staff hours) have been challenging, but the beauty of this company is that creativity is encouraged and welcomed, which has helped out team work through the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your staff as you have been doing. Keep salaries competitive and you will continue to have dedicated staff. Bravo!!