Center for Strategic and International Studies - Great institution, some departments more so than others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

"Great institution, some departments more so than others"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC
Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Hamre has created a culture of accountability and a commitment to excellence. Upper management takes its mission goals seriously.

Cons

My department was poorly organized and had low substantive output. The Chair and fellows did not have a coherent plan of action.

Advice to Management

Create a more responsive feedback mechanism to reward and encourage top-notch work.

Other Employee Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

1. "Great place to gain experience, people are friendly."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

As an internship, it's a great way to network with people, learn about political research, and learn about event management with senior political figures. CSIS apparently fill nearly half of their staff positions from interns. The people that work their recognize it's an unpaid internship and make sure you know they value your contribution.

Cons

The internships are unpaid and there seems to be an expectation that you will work a full work week.

2. "Positive, with some disappointing moments"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Interesting work, sometimes you can be busy which gives you a sense of purpose, my program is incredibly supportive of me taking time off to interview at other places.

Cons

I started interning there so I could eventually sustain a job. Full time positions are not plentiful and sometimes the work will make you lose a little steam because interns are everywhere. But I will say the opportunity is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Make us feel like we are actually contributing to something. I feel like you give us busy work until something important actually happens