Center for Strategic and International Studies - Intern--Didn't have too many responsibilities :( | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

"Intern--Didn't have too many responsibilities :("

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great international reputation, intelligent leadership, access to so many awesome DC conferences and events held right at the Center, cool experience to highlight on resume

Cons

I wanted to take on more responsibilities and projects than were given to me. During the summer DC can become kind-of a ghost town where real work isn't really prioritized. I felt a bit trapped by this and by the fact that there were several other younger interns in my department who got there first and were given more work than me. I just wish I could have taken away more from the experience than I did.

Advice to Management

Utilize the interns better. Even if there isn't a current project to do, give them some research work or a small report to write in order to keep on top of current events.

Other Employee Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

1. "great place to make a difference"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization values and empowers its staff, treats them fairly, and challenges them. It focuses on policy-relevant scholarship with thorough and well-articulated analysis and practical recommendations for our country's leaders. It is forward-thinking, anticipating and indeed welcoming change, and it takes its bipartisanship and its integrity seriously.

Cons

I am unable to articulate any major weaknesses at this point, although I am still very new to CSIS so perhaps I will be able to do so later.

Advice to Management

You have a fantastic organization - keep taking care of your people, empowering them and allowing them to flourish!

2. "An interview for a position to kick-off a life's work in diplomacy"

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You must be passionate about diplomacy and the responsibility that comes with conducting very high quality research that helps shapes the views of policymakers, public intellectuals, and the public at-large. CSIS represents a commitment to this ideal.

Cons

Salaries can be more competitive, especially for retaining recent graduates from the top universities worldwide, many of whom otherwise go into consulting, banking, finance etc. where they know salaries are higher.

Advice to Management

I would strongly suggest that management review their incentives for hiring and retaining the best recent graduates. More competitive salaries and basic incentives such as public policy leadership training seminars and stipends for all interns would be encouraging.