Central Garden & Pet - Evolving | Glassdoor

"Evolving"

Former Employee - AR Specialist in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - AR Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides free training for its employees from MS Office to SAP systems. Being able to work independently. The company offers flexibility for employee with family. Great place for skilled employee. Overall, not so great but not so bad either. I believe Central Garden and Pet is moving to be a better company.

Cons

The company is in the transition and keep re-structuring its organization. Created a financial center in Atlanta, GA in 2009 and decided to move and create a new shared service center in Boise, Idaho. Some people lost their jobs after 10 to 15 years worked for the company.

Advice to Management

Some management, including the CFO are great, but some need to learn how to treat people not based on their pay grade.

Other Employee Reviews for Central Garden & Pet

"Solid company local management determines employee experience"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working for CG&P is the flexibility with scheduling and work hours. Local management was dedicated to providing employee satisfaction.

Cons

The company is struggling to gain commitment from its big box customers making it difficult at times to meet goals.

Advice to Management

Build better partnerships with your big box customers. The competition in the garden categories is fierce and at the store level CG&P has little or no commitment from management at regional and store level.

"Great Company at First.....But then down hill towards the end!"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Job if you love people, sales, and outdoor products. Made some great professional connections and still speak with those people today! Loved every minute of my job!

Cons

Promised full time status within one month, then was cut down to seasonal without being told by my TM. Was told by my TM I could not have a second job during the off season and at his beck and call. Was also told not to have a child, that would effect my performance in the company!

Advice to Management

To much disconnect between your field reps and higher management. If you cut hours send out a company wide memo. I had to sit and listen to my TM tell me my hours were cut because my dedication to the company was not were it should be. The regional manager later told me my job performance was solid and could not figure out the disconnect between the TM and the RM. Only left the job because of my TM telling me to be at his beck and call, or he would find someone that would "march to the beat" Pretty lousy way to treat an employee who had his area in top niche shape if you ask me!