Central Market - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

- ethical
- honest
- community focused
- great benefits

Cons

- hard to move up

Other Employee Reviews for Central Market

"Sounds like a great place to work until you actually get the job."

Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The best selection of food
    $45 credit towards cooking classes each month
    Accommodation on hours you need
    Getting 2 paid 15 minute breaks

Cons

The managers are very proud about their job (since they were chosen for the wrong reasons) and will do anything to keep it that way. They treat us regular little partners like incompetent slaves. They are even given a list of things they are supposed to complete every day and they pawn it off on whoever isn't busy (which they initial it as if they were the ones who did it). I had a work related injury and instead of accommodating me they decided to refuse to give me work in other departments to suit my restrictions yet they pulled other new hires for work in other departments. When this happened they wrote me up for the days that the dr (the one they took me to) told me I couldn't work on. They even told me it didn't matter if I was hurt at work or not that I would get fired if I missed any more work due to my injury. They gave me an option of either going home or signing my write up. This is extremely unethical and illegal. If Id have known they would write me up multiple times for letting them take me to the urgent care place I would have had my mom pick me up and take me. They are so unorganized and the managers are chosen at more of a social standpoint than for their quality of work. These managers are also really bad at playing favorites and obviously doing things illegal and legal to get rid of partners they just don't like. My advice if you want to work there: suck up to the managers and slave away while they stand in a herd and laugh about their personal stories, don't get injured at work, and don't try to get your issues resolved with upper management because you'll most likely be put on their scum list.

Advice to Management

Start hiring managers that are qualified not because they are socially pleasing. Stop writing up people for getting hurt at work and missing a few days. At least tell them in advance that it will happen and that you have no choice. All in all get rid of the egotistical cheer captain managers and hire new ones. There are only 2 managers that I can think of that do their job ethically right and work hard.

"The work was underpaid and communication to the different departments was not clear."

Former Employee - Sign Artist in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Sign Artist in Southlake, TX

Pros

Learn a few new skills
    Free cooking classes
    Regular hours (7 am to 3 pm)
    Had a good dynamic with the other coworkers in my department
    Praise from department head when a good job was done

Cons

Way below average pay for an in-house designer (I ended 10/hr after a a 25 cent raise.)
    I was given full time hours, but was in the system as a part time employee so they didn't have to give too many of us benefits. It was very frustrating having to work the same amount and just as hard as the others without the perks.
    Our art office was basically a closet with no ventilation and we were crammed in there with a laminator (toxic fumes!) Eventually, it was moved to the Receiving part of the store, but we were always in the way of the employees back there wheeling giant palettes around.
    The Art/Sign team created the in-store advertising, so I feel we were often the first to blame when sales quotas were not met even though they were consistently bad and we always created what the managers told us to. I personally don't think it was built in a good location for upscale grocery.