Centrica - Nothing like I expected of the oil&gas industry | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Centrica

"Nothing like I expected of the oil&gas industry"

Former Intern - Talent Intelligence Analyst in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Centrica as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my experience with the company - great office atmosphere and everyone I met was so friendly. As a 'mere' summer intern I expected people not to bother with me and leave me get on with my project but most days I was meeting some one new. Everyone I met was was always very approachable, genuinely interested in what I was working on and always offering their help.

As part of my project I had to interview employees throughout the company at all levels of seniority - I expected a lot of rejections but everyone was happy to help and through speaking to them learnt the reason behind their move to Centrica - everyone is incredibly passionate about the company!

Cons

I was working outside of the IT department for my summer placement and was looking to move into this department for a graduate placement. I got the general opinion that the rest of the company does not consider the IT department to be worthwhile - even other interns made quips about them.

Other Employee Reviews for Centrica

1. "Good people, varying remuneration, result-oriented, slow and beuracratic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Heysham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Heysham, England (UK)

I have been working at Centrica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and flexible atmosphere. Very accommodating and potential for vast experience to be gained.

Cons

Insular in nature and sometimes confused as to what operating model to be bench-marked against with other companies due to the gigantic operating model in various sectors.

Advice to Management

Consider benchmarking performance targets against external contemporaries for each business unit against their competitors rather than grouping everything together and comparing against the one that matters at the time.

2. "Average pay, decent work life balance"

Current Employee - SAP CE Consultant in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SAP CE Consultant in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Centrica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not strict for time
    Average facilities
    Staines has proximity to London

Cons

Does not have an IT strategy
    IS is more tactical and not strategic