CenturyLink - Good place to work. | Glassdoor

"Good place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New Century, KS
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New Century, KS

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have a lot of authority on how projects are set up and managed. Management response to issues is very quick and effective. I can perform the technical work as well as the project management related work for my applications.

Cons

Salary tends to be a bit below market. Health care benefits are not as good as other employers in the area. There is ongoing pressure to relocate to Monroe, LA, even though I don't want to move there.

Other Employee Reviews for CenturyLink

"Qwest 5 Stars, CenturyLink NO WAY!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Qwest had awesome vacation time, good bonuses, excellent leadership, and a very family oriented work environment.

Cons

After the merger, the vacation time was diminished, bonuses were cut (mine personally went from 15% to 5%), and the ultra-religious leadership from Monroe took over the company. Legacy CTL employees practically worship the CEO as if he were some demigod. Frankly, CTL had no business buying Qwest, and if you ask me they are in WAY over their heads. For example, Qwest had a very mechanized ordering system, and one of the first things CTL did after the merger was to dismantle the ordering system, and replace the mechanized work with low paid contractors. Adding this manual element to the sales process slowed everything down and the performance of the sales teams show it. The sales center I supported had revenue achievement of over 100%, and when I left it was closer to 95% because the the vendor team could not keep up with the volume of orders, therefore, the time from ordering to turn up was severely delayed. This company is cheap, and they will cut cost from anything to make their numbers to Wall St and to keep their lucrative dividend in place. But don't be fooled, the glass house can't last forever. To further the pain, CenturyLink has taken local jobs from every part of the legacy Qwest territory and moved them to Monroe. I had a very good job and was positioned well in the company after the merger, but I could not stand the way the legacy CTL employees treated each other. If you want to know what it feels like to have a knife stabbed in your back, or be run over by a bus, go work for this company. Sincerely a 10 year veteran and loyal Qwest employee

Advice to Management

Quit dishing out false propaganda "CORE VALUES" because in no way, shape or form does any of the leadership team exhibit the traits that are published in the "CORE VALUES" Oh, and while your at it, why don't you pay your sales employees. They sold your crappy services, so they deserve to be paid their commission.

"Not the greatest, sticklers to quotas"

Current Employee - CSSR in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - CSSR in Boise, ID

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent bonus options available to employees

Cons

Good Training programs available with company

Advice to Management

Be more open to your good employees