CenturyLink - Challenging and fun but underpaid. Company is wrought with old school politics creating a toxic culture. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CenturyLink

"Challenging and fun but underpaid. Company is wrought with old school politics creating a toxic culture."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Monroe, LA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Monroe, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is challenging and fun. Lots of exposure to new technology.

Cons

Underpaid. Very few opportunities for upward mobility. Loads of political nonsense leftover from the 80's. People are usually promoted or hired from within based on the "good ol boy" system or the number of years they have at the company (which is a completely irrelevant factor in determining if someone is right for a position...I have been in the industry for 15 years so I am not being biased). Senior management is still operating under the premise that workers should be satisfied just to keep their jobs in our current market, instead of rewarding performance with merit increases or even appropriate pay for the position. Pay overall is considerably lower than the going rates across the market.

Advice to Management

It is time to shake things up. Years of service is not a legitimate factor in awarding a job to someone if those years are not backed up with real quantifiable performance. Catch up with the rest of the IT and Telecom industry regarding pay scales (they are one now, so stop trying to evaluate them separately) or you are going to continue loosing your most valuable players at an increasing rate. The recession is over! Stop holding people's jobs over their head as motivation...this will backfire in the very near future. Start taking care of your "A" players and they will take care of you...or don't and they will go work for a competitor and help take market share away from you.

Other Employee Reviews for CenturyLink

"It's been a good ride, not sure how much longer I can hang on"

Current Employee - Lead Info Systems Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Info Systems Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, paid time off, stable job

Cons

Unless you are lucky, there really isn't career mobility within the company. It doesn't help that older workers stick around a long time as well. Inconsistent work at home policy - don't ask don't tell. I feel isolated because all coworkers work in different states and it much harder to collaborate. It is hard to know where the company is headed because I work in a bubble and have no idea what other IT teams are working on or what the company is working on for the future.

Advice to Management

Information and company direction doesn't flow down to all levels.

"Good if better location."

Former Employee - Engineer in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Monroe, LA

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-In-depth, career enhancing, technical experience
    -Consistent/frequent training
    -Good pace of work (low pressure most of the time)
    -Stability at headquarters in Monroe, LA

Cons

-Very poor quality of life in Monroe, LA, especially for women.
    -Work culture in this location is very oppressed.
    -Lower than average pay for industry but higher for that specific market because there are really no other qualify jobs around there.