Cerner - Good! | Glassdoor

"Good!"

Current Employee - Velocity Business in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Velocity Business in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of pressure at the beginning to learn, but I've never had a problem with feeling like I'm in over my head and unable to answer any questions.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of information feels like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose

Advice to Management

Lower the amount of pressure new people feel to learn everything at once and feel over our heads.

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

"Software Engineer - Client Support (SWx)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Client Support in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average starting salary, good benefits such as 2 weeks vacation, medical/dental/vision insurance. I never heard of anyone getting laid off by the company although some people say employees just disappear. However, I did see that if you don't do well for some reason, they demote you. For example, I saw Software engineers being demoted to analysts and Team leads to regular engineers/analysts. This may be good if you really want to keep your job but a demotion will hurt you in your career.

Cons

Cerner is a company that hires primarily recent grads and has a high turnover. In my point of view, the reason for this is because the company does not take good care of its employees. I felt like a number when I worked there. They can afford to not care about their employees because if one leaves, 3 recent grads are ready to take the job. Working for Cerner is somewhat like a sweatshop. Do not expect a good salary increase or praise from anybody for doing your job. However, if you slack off, management will be quick in pointing that out. When I left, I did not get a formal HR exit interview which goes to show you employees are a number to the company. They did ask for all items lent out to you back such as the laptop and monitor. After that, nobody talks to you. Only take their offer if you don't get other offers. This is not a company you want to make a future out of. As an engineer, you will be doing primarily the work of an analyst because the real engineering stuff is in innovations where they design the software or in India.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. They are actually people. I guess as long as hospitals keep paying the big bucks, CERNER can get away doing their sweatshop business as always as long as there are fresh recent grads ready to take the job.

"Great place to start your career"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career and figure out what career role/path suits you best. Social activities are great to make connections.

Cons

Benefits are extremely expensive to use. Management rarely pay attention to the pros or don't give much reward for employee achievements, mainly just a pat on the back. Excessive overtime, on call 24/7 without any incentive. Starting pay not so great either, if you want to be paid what you deserve it's probably it'll take between 5-10 years. Best to get your experience for 2-3 years and move on to a company that offers better benefits and pay.

Advice to Management

Improve employee benefits, reward employees for major achievements they have earned for the company.