Cerner - Best Company I have ever worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

"Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - BAA in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - BAA in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits,Flexible scheduling,Caring Corporation and great associates.

Cons

Riding a shuttle to and from work but, not bad now as winter hits. I won't have to scrape my windows.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

"It's a good 'starter' job for fresh college graduates...get in...get out"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Cerner for over 5 years now and can definitely see the changes from when I first started. As for the good, It's a great "out of college" job to get your feet wet. All types of technologies and learning experiences that will look great on your resume. Hours are pretty flexible, I pretty much come and go as I please. And of course being a healthcare company, the sky is the limit for growth. Very young workforce. A free gym is a nice perk as well, unfortunately those of us at innovations have been

Cons

When I started, the average starting salary was very competitive for the midwest. Problem was, once they reeled us in with the nice starting salary...they then gave us horrible raises. Even in cases of promotions. Promotions all depend on your team, manager and of course office politics. I highly recommend getting on a team that gets a lot of exposure. Do not be afraid to move to another team after you have started. And make sure to keep a steady convo on "What it takes to get to the next level" with your manager. You really have to push it. There is no doubt in my mind that they get an order from higher management to keep promotions to a minimal. It seems that cerner is more concerned with hiring cheaper labor(fresh college grads, work visa international citizens, etc) than keeping experienced engineers. They've actually been on a crazy hiring spree lately bringing in tons of international workers. My advice is get some experience here for 2-5 years while pushing for promotions and then start looking for the next opportunity else where.

Advice to Management

Instead of going on the hiring spree, how about retaining your current employees with all of the knowledge . Also, there should be more uniformity with promotions. A promotion is more dependent on the manager's personality than the engineer's actual skills/experience/performance. I've seen teams with "cool" managers who vouch and push their upper execs to get promotions for their engineers without the engineer even asking(which is great!)......while other managers have to be practically begged to even discuss possible promotions with their engineers.

2. "Great environment to grow professionally."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced growth in leading edge industry.

Cons

Because the company is constantly changing it can be difficult to navigate.