Cerner - Very rewarding | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Very rewarding"

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Very flexible schedules, majority if coworkers are younger and recently graduated

Cons

Too much travel can burn you out quickly, tough travel conditions especially when traveling late at night or in weekends

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

"Blinded by all of the perks"

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great insurance, starting salary is good

Cons

No input as to where you'll be placed. I was asked if I wanted to travel or not. I said no because I was a newlywed and new to the area. I didn't want to be gone all of the time and leave him home alone. That was the only input I got. I graduated with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems. They put me on a patient accounting team. I thought initially that I could learn the software and be successful. What they didn't tell me is that our team would be responsible for balancing hospitals books. I took my 2 required accounting courses in college. This wasn't enough to know how to keep a hospitals books in balance. I spoke to my mentor and manager repeatedly about my struggles. Everyone on my team had the attitude that they had it harder than I did and that it was almost a right of passage to be completely overwhelmed, lost and 100% confused for the first 18 months or so. I'm a hard worker and I take a lot of pride in doing a job well, so this ended up causing severe depression and even health problems. After a year at Cerner, I decided that my salary wasn't worth risking my health. I quit. I took a job with a pay cut and it's amazing how much happier I am and healthier I am.

Taking a lunch hour was looked down on. Leaving campus to go to the doctor was also a mess. We had "unlimited sick leave" but that wasn't the truth. I had to make up hours when I left campus to go to the doctor.

Parking was a disaster. When I started they told us we would have to be shuttled from another site onto campus for the first month. When I left the company a year later, I was still taking the shuttle.

I read reviews on here when I was going to KC to interview but I just thought the few negative comments were disgruntled employees. I wish now that I would have taken them into consideration.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't need to be based on tenure. Just because someone has been with the company doesn't mean they are good management material. Maybe you should consider going for people with some background in management or just someone that cares about people. My manager was cold. She didn't care about us as people. It was an unfortunate experience.

2. "No training, not busy"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cerner as an intern

Pros

Kansas City now has Google Fiber I guess. Also, they did pay for our housing.

Cons

The Systems Engineer Intern program was so worthless they stopped doing it. And the housing they paid for was dorms with roommates.