Cerner - Best place to start your career in tech | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

"Best place to start your career in tech"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
-They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
-They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
-Great place for out of college first salaried job.
-They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
-People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
-Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
-They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
-You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

Advice to Management

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
-Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

1. "Alot of office politics"

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

2. "Unlimited Opportunities"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.