Certona - Hard to keep anyone with a good skill set | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Certona

"Hard to keep anyone with a good skill set"

I have been working at Certona full-time

Pros

Landing a position here was easy. Now that we are renting space under Kyocera we have more than one bathroom and it gets cleaned daily. Thanks Kyocera for the janitorial services.

Benefits are very good and inline with bigger companies.

A good opportunity for anyone getting back into the work force.

Cons

We can not keep employees with good skills. They work here for a few months to a year and seem to move on.

Many of the current employees are burnt out and very unhappy. I am one of them. We are unhappy because management is so disconnected. Direction within is very poor. We are often short with our coworkers and don't like to help or share knowledge. This may be a big factor in the high turn over.

The CEO and a few of the management don't even respect the newly hired Vice President of Engineering. But I am learning why unless its just rubbing off from management.

We do work many hours and don't get holidays off. But we are tied to the E commerce business so this is expected. Forget family life if you have one.

This is a family owned and run business. They hire their own family members in good positions when they are not qualified.

Management is disconnected.

Advice to Management

Be professional! We are looking at you all the time, and if we have poor leadership, how can you expect us to be any better?

If you choose the right people and enable them to spread their wings with a good compensation carrot at the back end of it, you'll have better employees to help take Certona to the next step.

Someone left the review "Advice to Senior Management – Sometimes managers can't be friends with employees, when there is a serious problem you must take care of it" I can honestly see why this person feels this way.

Other Employee Reviews for Certona

1. "Good company"

Current Contractor - Data Scientist
    Current Contractor - Data Scientist

I have been working at Certona as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many challenging problems for a data scientist and a lot of data. The team is very experienced and professional. Management is open to listen to new ideas and helps people grow.

Cons

As in many big companies the decision-making process is too slow.

2. "Friendly with an excellent work life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

This is a company that really cares about its employees. While we worked hard, made our deadlines, and delivered on a great product, management is flexible and attentive. You'll find friendly people who are focused on doing great things for its clients and their customers. The product offering is solid and the best in the industry. If you're interested in bid data projects, Certona has huge amounts of data from which it discerns and creates customer value.

Cons

Reviews are sometimes late at Certona and yet I was never under-appreciated by management for my contribution.

Advice to Management

Perhaps rebalance the staffing of the organization. It seemed a bit heavy on the services side. I think too a review of market salaries and comparison would be helpful for retention.