Chaos Commerce - Four months of misery | Glassdoor

"Four months of misery"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty good for what you have to go through.

Cons

- Customer service is a thankless job without any real help from upper management
- The company culture is terrible, the only thing keeping employees' morale up is complaining about customers and getting drunk at the occasional office party
- They blast the air conditioning, so you're basically freezing to death
- No one in the other departments are helpful
- Reps are encouraged to lie and generally be unhelpful.
- High turnaround.
- They target artsy/creative types that need a job, and exploit their desperation. If you found their ad in the Craigslist writing job section, there's a good reason for it.
- They try to market themselves as a "Fun" company to work for, but it's sitting in front of a computer in a windowless room for hours on end.
- I was in absolutely depressed for four months before they let me go. My life has improved since then.
- Half hour lunch break, with two fifteen minute breaks after that. I'd rather just have an hour break. The line to the microwave is long, and if you're at the end of the line, you're either gonna have to eat cold food, or have five minutes to eat. That is, unless you have a kosher meal. Then you can use the Kosher microwave.
- Speaking of, if you're gonna work for this company, you better know what all the Jewish Holidays are, because those are the holidays you get off.

Advice to Management

Give customer service reps the tools they need to help customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Chaos Commerce

"Challenging Work, Inclusive Culture"

I have been working at Chaos Commerce full-time

Pros

A small company where management is always ready to listen to new ideas.
    * Lots of room for growth within the company and flexibility with your position.
    * Monthly events are a great way to get to know people in other departments.
    * Lunches are nice because everyone usually eats together in the break room, instead of leaving the office.
    * Work can be challenging, but overall it's a very relaxed environment.

Cons

Not many vacation days. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Perhaps more full staff team meetings so entry-level employees can share their ideas with management.

"Thanks, but no thanks."

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location relatively close to transportation and shops (Dollar store right next door), youthful group, casual dress environment, loved my co-workers, lots of after-hours games and activities and events for staff to "let their hair down" or better yet, "get to know each other", hookups on merchandise, good amount of support and help from within your department, clean spaces, vending machines but also free cereal, PB&J, coffee, water, and condiments.

Cons

Invisible to upper management! Getting (non-paid) Jewish holidays off, but wanting you to work on Christmas and the like. Too many young employees, disconnect between departments, unspoken...awkwardness between Jewish and non-Jewish employees. In order to fake a "family" environment, they force mixers and parties down your throat--God forbid if you're an introvert, or rather, not willing to mix business with pleasure all in the name of "getting to know each other". You want to get to know me? Acknowledge me when I walk past you in the hallway instead of averting your eyes--they almost all do that. But be sure they're talking about you, yep, the same ones who you could have sworn didn't even know you were alive when you wandered into the break room.

Advice to Management

Better training, proper consideration of non-Jewish employees, less gossip. Focus on the ones who can net you RESULTS, not the ones who don't have company "spirit", gimme a break.