Charles River Laboratories - Charles River- ACS Tech I | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles River Laboratories

"Charles River- ACS Tech I"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV
Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Schedule - Very relaxed when it comes to time off, school schedule, and various emergencies as they arise

Full Benefits w/ decent pay and overtime if you like to work a little extra every week

Cons

Nothing to bad to say except that it is a testing facility, if your sensitive to animal rights and pharmaceutical testing then this obviously is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Charles River Laboratories

"The pay is adequate and so are the benefits, not a bad place, just not for everyone."

Current Employee - Tech I in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Tech I in Portage, MI

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. 8 holidays two floating. Out early Fridays.

Cons

Low start pay. Slow to give raises. No incentives for education. Wont work around a school schedule. Have to earn time off or repay if you leave before the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Encourage education inside the company! Flexible schedules and less stress on improving time at each task. Quality does not mean speed. Too much management on too many unnecessary levels. Micro managing is so unnecessary. Everyone can do thier own job and if they cant they shouldnt be employees any longer.

"Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV

Pros

They actually have good pay and if they followed their own SOPs and guidelines good advancement opportunities. They treat the animals well because that is the right thing to do and it is their business. There are tons of breaks, basically whenever you want and plenty of people show up late and leave early. So, you only work like seven hours a day and get paid for eight. There are paid holidays and if you work on Thanksgiving or Christmas, food is provided, usually from Boston Market. They do take care of their employees and give lots of room for error.

Cons

Unfair treatment of employees, supervisors are incompetent. I understand their hands are somewhat tied and they cant make a decision without corporate but why are they needed then? Employees are lazy, disrespectful, rude and selfish. While some are busting a hump in the back, others are sleeping at their desk as a supervisor walks by and says nothing. If you are lazy, great place to work. If you work hard, run for the hills!! The drama makes the pay not worth it.

Advice to Management

Start from the top. You need new supervisors in ACS, Tech ops and Necropsy. Senior techs in ACS need to be let go as they continually teach new people not to follow SOPs and can't even set up a rodent rack correctly. Bottom line is you need employees that want to be there and care about the animals more than when they get their next break.