Charles River Laboratories - One Charles River | Glassdoor

"One Charles River"

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Even though Charles River is a global organization, there is a lot of emphasis on team work from site to site. Many of my colleagues that I interact with on a daily basis are all over the world (Canada, Europe, Asia, in the US but outside of Massachusetts) but we still work well as a team and support each other to achieve our goals. As a member of the marketing department, I have the pleasure of working with a variety of different groups within the company including operations, sales and the scientific staff. There is also a lot of room for growth within the company. I have seen a lot of my colleagues grow and move between departments when opportunities arise. The company does a great job of retaining employees.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to find a work life balance as the company expects more from its employees without increasing resources. However, this is not unique to Charles River, but a trend across industries and corporations.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees with positive reinforcement when deserved. It can really boost moral and create increaseed productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles River Laboratories

1. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Senior Technologist
    Former Employee - Senior Technologist

Pros

Good place to learn about the pharma/biotech/CRO industry if you're a kid just out of college. Most people are laid back and happy to teach you if you're willing to learn.

Cons

The pay is abysmal, as is the benefits--even by a CRO's standards, it's not very good. The most promising people leave as soon as they can.

Advice to Management

None.

"Not a good company at all."

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

Pros

Not many good reasons to work here while I was here, although it is relatively easy to get a job here if you dont have much experience, thats about it. I honestly cannot think of any other positives to work for this company. Their strategic vision is weak and the way they treat employees is pathetic. Might be a decent place to get your foot into the biopharmaceutical industry, but most try to get out as fast as they can especially if they are not one of the "favorites" of management. That makes a difference, believe it or not. Bad.

Cons

The pay is WAY below market value, promotions were not fair at all - nepotism and favoritism was rampant in my opinion, even the few people making decent money hate their jobs, most members of management were not highly educated. I never felt I had any opportunity to advance, my supervisors were very insecure and were more focused on protecting their own positions rather than identifying and promoting talent. Layoffs seemed to be more frequent than other companies and turnover was rediculous. The few good employees seemed to be constantly searching for jobs right at their desks during work, which should tell you all you need to know.

Advice to Management

Resign. You obviously dont know how to run a large company.