Charles Schwab - Good People and Good Benefits But Pay and Environment Really Varies by Department | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"Good People and Good Benefits But Pay and Environment Really Varies by Department"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- On the whole, you work with a lot of good people who know what they are doing
- Great benefits and a company that goes out of their way to try and help their employee's fulfill their financial and personal health goals.
- Overall company's objectives and goals are something I can get behind and feel good about.
- Company provides many in-house training opportunities.

Cons

- Lots of people who stay for a very long time, which can stagnate progress (resistance to change).
- Legally conservative company with lots of red tape that does a decent job to protect the brand but also slows progress and change
- Pay is average to below average compared to others in industry in area. HR is not very creative at coming up with ways to recognize employees for their contributions.
- To move up, you have to change departments. Difficult to grow within.

Advice to Management

- Give Managers more ways to recognize their employees in a meaningful way.
- Become more efficient at weighing legal risk vs time to market rewards and new business growth

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Good Benefits, pay a little low"

Former Employee - Registered Representative I in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Representative I in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (vacation time, sick time, good health benefits), a lot of opportunities in other departments, time off for volunteering, good work life balance

Cons

Pay is a little low. Employee moral was a little low (but it was during the big downturn in the market). Although there is definitely opportunity to move to other departments, most of the moves are lateral. There isn't a lot of room for upward advancement.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on what your employees are feeling...bad morale spreads quickly

"Horrible Managers and Outdated Pay Grade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at Schwab are decent and I worked alongside some very qualified colleagues who worked hard and knowledgeable about the industry.

Cons

The Management there is absolutely awful. The Manager I had in particular seemed to enjoy pitting team members against each other and causing drama within the Department. For the amount of work that we did along with overseeing billions of dollars in assets, the pay was pretty pathetic with little to no chance for moving up within the company.

Advice to Management

The pay grade is very outdated and needs to be addressed. Morale was so low when I left that every one of my colleagues was looking to leave. The technology is extremely outdated and instead of using money to update it, the company seems to just pour more money into the old technology.