Charles Schwab - Sink or Swim | Glassdoor

"Sink or Swim"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and professional.

Cons

For an entry-level position into investments, dealing with client accounts and money, I would expect the training at Schwab to be more complete. My training was about two-weeks, with a different trainer almost every day, and the trainers didn't follow or utilize the training book as often as I would expect. By the time training was over, I didn't receive a lot of support, and felt like it was sink or swim for me.

Advice to Management

Regardless of what role someone is being hired for, ensure to provide complete and detailed training.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - some of the best and most affordable that I've ever had

Cons

Pretty much everything - managers that play favorites and don't support their employees, limited potential for upward movement since bonuses are pooled and your manager has to fight to get you anything. Limited promotional opportunities - these are pooled as well - and if you try and move to a different department, they offer it as a lateral move, rather than recognize previous service and recognition and provide a raise.

Communication is HORRIBLE. Their idea of good communication is to send out an email, send out a correction, send out a retraction, and start the same process over. This goes for internal policies and procedures, as well as to communications with clients and their advisors.

While benefits are pretty great, compensation is not at all acceptable. They admittedly pay less than the market average, and have no plans to change that. They also try and tell you that there is no room for off cycle promotions or exceptional merit increases (rather than the standard 2%), yet you constantly hear about people who have been given both, and their work is substandard. It is all about who you know, rather than how well you do the job.

2. "Software Engineer at Charles Schwab"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Very satisfied.

Cons

Honestly there is nothing negative about it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing whatever you are doing.