Charles Schwab - All in all I was happy w/ my employment at Schwab. It could've been improved though--the firm has had too many changes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"All in all I was happy w/ my employment at Schwab. It could've been improved though--the firm has had too many changes."

Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Vice President, Financial Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, 1 month paid sabbatical for every 5 years of service, work/life balance, clear infrastructure & easy navigation throughout different departments, positive corporate culture

Cons

Way too many changes to objectives and the comp plan for financial consultants, an HR department that doesn't have the back of employees but is strictly there to protect management, poor compensation for overall responsibilities, poor identity of branch talent, lack of diversity

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

1. "Fair to positive"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Charles Schwab offers a great opportunity to get your foot in the door with the financial industry. They give you time to study for your series 7 and 63 exams, and the job allows you to learn about financial products and how to discuss them with clients. Also, I really enjoy the colleagues on my team.

Cons

It is a call center. You take 50 calls in a day, back to back, and it can get stressful. The pay is low compared to other similar companies. Management just raised the base pay for this job to $40,000 for new hires, but they did not extend the base pay bump to those of us already trained and working here. Kind of feels like a shove out the door, and I know a lot of folks seeking other jobs.

Advice to Management

I would like more money, please.

"Worst company I have worked for"

Former Employee - Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct quote from HR to fellow employee, "Well if you don't like it you can go somewhere else, and in this economy good luck." Fellow employee got his license and was still making about 10% less than new hires off the street were hiring in at. He had made all of his "numbers" and had outstanding reviews. Rep came from another department and was treated like a second class citizen. When he met with HR and commented on the fact that strangers off the street were making more than him the response above is was what he got. This i think really is the best Pro to working for the company, you can quit, you don't have to stay, escape is possible. I wouldn't recommend this place to my most hated enemy. I loved this company, it was the company I wanted to work for most of my life and it was a huge disappointment.

Cons

Pay is dismal, as of 2013 they killed the benefits, the management is the worst I have ever seen including my jobs at Kmart and Burger King from high school!!! They manipulate people and offer no room for advancement. Favoritism is at an all time high, I have never seen so much manipulation of power in my life. I have seen great workers held back and watched terrible people succeed. Something akin to a bad movie, the company makes Initech (Office Space) look like a nice place to work. During my 3 year sentence I watched about 250+ people come and go in my small depart that holds at max 45 people! That kind of turnover is a bad sign. It's not just one person in management it's the management overall.

Advice to Management

Fire middle management then yourselves, you have ruined a great company!