Charles Schwab - Micromanagers and Bullying Culture Dominate Schwab | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Charles Schwab

"Micromanagers and Bullying Culture Dominate Schwab"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Nice facilities
-- Wellness reward ($250/yr)
-- Quarterly bonus

Cons

After working in corporate America for over decade, I'd have to say that some of the worst micromanaging occurs here. If you're looking for a career where you work more autonomously, do not apply at Schwab. Many of the managers here also see only one way of doing things. I think this is why Schwab struggles so much with innovation. If you don't do things your manager's way, it's wrong.

There's also a bullying culture at Schwab. I've seen a number of other posts related to this on here. VPs, Directors and even some Sr. Mgrs are bullies in the workplace, putting others down when they get the opportunity. The sad part is even if you report them, nothing gets done. I'm aware of two HR complaints filed against individuals for bullying and those two people have not been removed from the company or even demoted. One manager who managed a bully even admitted he didn't know how to deal with his bullying report. Because he didn't know how to handle the situation, nothing was done.

I would not recommend working for Schwab. It has not been a good experience for me and a number of folks I know.

Advice to Management

Deal with the bullying complaints before Schwab really gets in trouble.

Other Employee Reviews for Charles Schwab

"Not the best for Financial Consultants"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for clients that are self directed. Many tools and excellent website

Cons

Horrible if you are a Financial Connsultant. They pull you in 10 different directions at the same time and the pay is poor. They are changing compensation and is going to be even worse unless you live in one of the bigger markets.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the good old boy club and start hiring talent from outside Schwab.

2. "Employer of Choice"

Pros

Overall great company to work for
    Focused performance based culture

Cons

Years of layoffs have taken its toll,
    Some leaders have a tendancy to hold grudes and undermine others success, particular if there is not an alignment of views

Advice to Management

Examine behaviors of some indviduals within key roles within the organization and remove those whose actions are not consistent with the values of the firm. One particular leader was petty and vindictive when a difference of opinion was expressed.- This is a blind spot of some senior leaders within the organization and had negative impact on morale and the overall employee value proposition.